We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

Asia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

Hi! Which is a better/nicer hotel - Belvedere or Porto Mykonos Hotel? Which hotel is closer to Mykonos town? Thanks!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

Both are nice hotels, and both are just a short walk into Mykonos Town. The Belvedere is probably closer to Town, but both places are only a few minutes' walking distance away.

Which is better? I haven't stayed at either yet, so I can't offer any personal experience. But I know some people would argue that the Belvedere is "better" because it's a cool, chic, high-end hotel property with a world-famous restaurant that, along with the hotel itself, frequently gets written up by international travel publications. The Belvedere definitely generates more "buzz" than Porto Mykonos.

Asia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

Thanks! If you were to book for your stay - where would you book between the 2? :) Rates I got - Belvedere is 120 Euro while Porto Mykonos is 135 euro (both are standard double rooms).

I am reading the reviews in TripAdvisor for both hotels - from what I read, Belvedere is in Mykonos Town but not in the heart/center of Town while Porto Mykonos is like within the center. Can you please let me know if this is accurate...

Thanks again!

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

ilovetravelling8, the information you have about the hotels' location isn't completely accurate.

Neither hotel is right in the center of Mykonos Town. The Porto Mykonos is situated on a hillside between Mykonos Town and what's known as the Tagoo district of Mykonos. Numerous hotels spill down the hillside in this area, and it can take anywhere from five to 15 minutes to walk into the heart of Mykonos Town, depending upon the location of any particular hotel. I would estimate the Porto Mykonos is at most a five- to 10-minute walk into Town. The Porto Mykonos overlooks the Old Port area of Mykonos, offering terrific sea and sunset views, as well as views of nearby Tinos island. However, there is a drawback to the location: A new marina and seaside park is under construction beside the Old Port, so the entire waterfront below the hotel is a giant construction zone. Work on the marina project did not produce much noise when I stayed in the Tagoo area in May, but many people do consider the construction zone to be an eyesore. I personally wasn't bothered by views of the worksite, but I do realize many people would find that it could detract from their holiday experience. Here is a link to some photos which will give you a good idea of the extent of the construction project, which is scheduled for completion next July: travel.webshots.com/album/572893275mMWPod…

The Belvedere is situated near what's known as the School of Fine Arts District of Mykonos. The hotel overlooks the Town, with views of the sea & sunset beyond the Town. The hotel is just a five-minute walk into the heart of Town. Its drawback: it is located near a very busy main road, Agiou Iannou, that circles around the pedestrian-only zone of Mykonos Town.

They're both nice hotels, both in convenient locations, and both have offered you very good rates. There isn't a huge difference in the amount of time it would take to walk from either hotel to the main attractions of Mykonos Town. If I had to choose between the two myself, I probably would make my decision by flipping a coin. My suggestion to you: If you haven't already done so, take a look at the websites for each hotel and then decide which property offers the atmosphere in which you think you would best enjoy your Mykonos vacation.

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
907 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

I echo all that that donny has said particularly about the Belvedere.

A few years ago they built a large wall separating it from the main road which effectively sealed the hotel inside it. I presume this was to reduce the noise. That said, if you do decide on this hotel make sure you request, and get confirmation, that your room will have a sea view.

Those rooms that look out towards 'the wall' will still have an element of road noise. I very much enjoy the Belvedere’s location though, as the Rochari district (to the front of the hotel and where you walk down into town) is very pleasantly quiet with narrow lanes, lots of bougainvillea and a small outdoor theatre in Lakka. Restaurants (including Avra) are only minutes away and the harbour-front is about 8 minutes gentle stroll.

Jon

boston
Level Contributor
13 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

hi - i am staying at porto mykonos and just want to ask about the noise factor with the new construction - do you hear it?

we are scheduled to be there 9/9 and now am a bit nervous about this - thank you

Toronto
Destination Expert
for Mykonos
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

wendy333, i mentioned the noise factor in my reply (above). In May, there was very little noise from the construction work, and it wasn't disturbing or distracting in any way. I haven't heard anyone say the noise has gotten worse, so it shouldn't be a big issue during your visit.

7. Re: Belvedere vs. Porto Mykonos Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 14, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Mykonos Town