We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Silly question I know, but.,,,,

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Silly question I know, but.,,,,

We have been to Lanzarote 4 times. Our first visit was to CT in July, a few years ago. There was a calima, it was the hottest July in memory, there was a hot wind like a hair dryer, and it was very uncomfortable. We decided to try PDC a few years later in March. It was cloudy and cool. We liked PDC though, so went back that October. It rained. The next year, we returned in early May. It was windy and cold.

We have never yet made it onto a beach in Lanzarote to sunbathe........

We are thinking of coming back to try again in February.

Are we mad?

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
830 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

Sounds like you have been really unlucky with the weather in July, March, October and May - you should have been OK in all those months!

You don't say how long you went for each time, I'm guessing a week since any bad weather in Lanzarote usually doesn't last more than a day or two?

If you're seriously thinking of going in February, do bear in mind that is winter in Lanzarote, so you have less chance of really good weather than any of the months you've already tried (it's likely to be just like a summer day in the UK). Take a look at:

wunderground.com/history/…calendar

Scroll down the page to see what the weather was like day by day in February 2012 and the averages you could expect at that time of the year.

Just don't give up on Lanzarote ... but maybe you should let us all know when you're going so we can avoid those dates!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,422 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

I'm beginning to wonder whether you've been there when we have lol..

We experienced a calima in July several years ago, and also had some indifferent weather in March a few years later. Cloudy, and quite a bit of rain. We've had a lot of cloud, and quite overcast when we've been in October. We had a total of about 2/3 days of sun out of 14 one year, so have given up on that month :(

It's always been warm enough to sit around in a bikini or go out wearing shorts, and always got a tan, even when it's been cloudy.

It's just luck of the draw, and the weather is becoming more changeable. February is winter, and is changeable anyway. Don't give up on the island though. It has some gorgeous places to see, and is so much more than beaches, sun and resorts.

north east
Level Contributor
650 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

Been 4 times in February and going again next year.

Out of those 4 visits we had solid rain for six of the seven days on one of the weeks, the rest were beautiful and sunny and just a little chilly at night.

It does seem you have been very unlucky with the weather

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,489 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

There's some very unlucky people on this thread! Usually you can count on one hand hand the number of full rainy days in lanzarote. Calima's are a bit of hit and miss but yes the one a few years in July was crazy. Many of my electric goods gave up like my fridge!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
622 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

Richt71 is right, we always go for new year (Lanzarote winter), and apart from the odd days, have fine weather.

Also been in July, April, and September. Same as above. Some of you have really been unlucky!

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,422 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

I was always known as the weather jinx lol. We didn't have our normal September weather this year either. Doesn't bother us though. Just gives me an excuse to persuade hubby we need to go for a drive out for a long lunch, and see if we can discover anything new. We also prefer walking, and stopping for a coffee or two en route, to lying in the sun. I get bored after an hour:(

Puerto Del Carmen...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

Until they start putting holiday resorts in the middle of the Sahara desert, or similar, there is nowhere that can guarantee you wall to wall sunshine these days. I always say to people that if you are here for a week and don´t get 3 days of sunshine (maybe half a day here and half a day there) you have been really really unlucky. What you are very unlikely to get on Lanzarote is the extremes of whether that you can sometimes get on mainland Spain, or even on some of the other islands where you might get landslides and floods etc.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
34,422 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

I agree. The climate is changing globally, and weather patterns seem to be changing every year.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,722 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

We've only been to Lanzarote the once...Feb 2012 in Puerto del Carmen. The weather was warm for the week with the occasional spot of rain but it never lasted. There was a constant wind throughout our stay but it was warm enough to sunbathe round the pool. It did get pretty cool at night with the breeze from the sea and we've found in our experience that Lanzarote was slightly cooler than the other islands. We first went to Gran Canaria in Jan 2009 and it was warm enough to sunbathe. We just came back from there again in October. We've also been to Tenerife in Feb 2011 and again in March this year and we've never had any bad weather as such, just occasional cloudy days and a drop of rain here and there. We're looking at going to Lanzarote again in Feb 2014, can't wait and at least the weather will be far warmer than it is back home no matter which island we choose! Enjoy!

Jambonian.

10. Re: Silly question I know, but.,,,,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 02, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen
Recent Conversations