We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

Manchester
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

We booked our holiday with Jet 2 some months ago to stay at Apartamentos Fariones Puerto del Carmen. Today (3 days before travelling) our Travel Agent contacted us to say that we had to change hotels due to over booking only given two options. Opition 1 - new accommodation Vik Hotel San Antonio, Option 2 - full refund. Not really having an choice we will now be staying at the Vik Hotel. I have read the review on the hotel and they are good. Has anybody else had the same experience with Jet2?

UK
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

The Fariones are better located - are they offering some compensation?

Manchester
Level Contributor
22 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

We were on B&B and have been offered half board at the new hotel. I did chose the original hotel for it's location.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
503 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

Hi Zippy, I had this a few years ago with thomsons. We used to holiday in the August and then book as soon as we came home for the next year, About a month before we were due to go away they said we had been double booked and offered a lesser star accommodation but with free half board,Not being happy i went into the shop to play up and with a shop full of potential customers they clearly didn't want a scene. The upshot was i took the other offer but with a 200 discount. That was the last package holiday i booked, I now book flights and private apartments seperate and would never go back to a package again. Don't think this is just a jet2 thing.You can't even go into a shop as they are an online company so you will have to bite the bullet i'm afraid.At least your getting away and PDC is great so don't let this spoil your holiday. Garry

Wirral
Level Contributor
1,956 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

Hi Zippy

I reckon you've been given a good deal there, the Hotel San Antonio is fab, stayed there a few times and the food is brilliant. Fab pools and terraces and right on it's own section of beach.

My opinion is that it's in a great location, nice and flat and plenty of nice bars and restaurants close by, it's also great to walk to Matagorda from there. I'm sure you'll be pleased, so have a great time. You can always get a taxi up to the old town.

We will be in PDC again in three weeks, can't wait.

5. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:35 pm, November 12, 2013
Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

The Vik San Antonio is a great hotel. I've been there 4 times and would happily go back. I'm sure you will enjoy it. And PDC has the cheapest taxis of any resort I've been to, so getting to the old town is no problem.

Dublin
Level Contributor
685 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

I don't think it's the travel agent. Have a look at the recent reviews of the fariones playa, including my own. They seem to have lost control of their booking system and are constantly overbooked and moving guests between their properties. They've always done this to a certain extent, but this year was by far the worst.

tripadvisor.ie/Hotel_Review-g662290-d277836-…

We were there the last week of October and, although we have been going for years and believe it is one of the better accommodations in PDC, this time we came away feeling hard done by and will think twice before going again.

So the vik San Antonio may actually be a better choice. We stayed there only a couple of times, the last time being 5 or 6 years ago, but would say that it's of comparable standard to the fariones and I would not hesitate to accept. The main difference is its location, at the opposite end of the strip.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
792 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

Depends where you want to be, as the San Antonio is right at the other end of the strip. Advantage is that it's very flat around that area and still loads of good bars and restaurants.

Leeds
Level Contributor
682 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

Typical ...I do not know what has happened to Jet2 recently. They started off great we have booked our last 3 holidays with them but they have hacked me off recently and seem to be chasing the pounds and forgetting their customers. They have us over a barrel as we live in Leeds and if we want to use our local airport then they are the only ones who fly from there.Hope you enjoy the new hotel and have no more problems.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,240 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jet 2 holiday - travelling this week - hotel changed

It's actually not usually the tour operator that overbooks, it's usually the hotel. They all overbook (like scheduled airlines do) and rely on cancellations and no shows. Sometimes this strategy doesn't work, and results in guests being bumped. Better a weeks notice than trying to check in and finding there's no room for you (which isn't unheard on when booking through OTAs). That's not to say tour operator overbooking never happens, but its not something they routinely do like hotels.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen