We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kinsale Restaurant terrible service

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kinsale Restaurant terrible service

Just back from another week in Lanzarote and I am sorry to say that the service in what was previously my favourite restaurant, The Kinsale in Los Pocillos/ Matagorda, has declined rapidly. Firstly we were kept waiting one hour for our main course. I ordered the fillet steak stuffed with prawns, on it's arrival I found the fried onions completely cold and the steak barely warm, tough ang stringey. Maura Carpenter, the owner asked if everything was alright, I said it's not really Maura, and with that she said I will tell chef and left! I called after her by name but she ignored me. I was wondering at that stage what exactly she was going to tell chef, as i had not been given the opportunity to say what the problem was. After the meal a lovely waitress asked if everything was alright and again I said no. This time I found a sympathetic ear and she apologised and asked what wasd wrong. After explaining everything she said she would pass it on . Next thing Maura,(the owner), arrived down with the bill and offerd an appertife to which I replied no thank you. She went on to say, as she poured the appertife that I had declined, that she had not ignored me but that she was passing on my comments to the chef, which was strange as she did not inquire as to the nature of my complaint! She also said that she was not charging me for my main course. I said you did not listen to me then as you are not listering now because you just poured me a drink that I said I did not want. I stated that it was the way she treated me more so than the the initial problem that irrated me, and that I had no problem paying for what I ate as I was not looking for a free meal. So alas for me the Kinsale will be no more but very close by I can highly recommend "Paddy's Paradise", a terrific service, brilliant staff and beautiful food very reasonably priced.

Edited: 11:24 am, October 30, 2012
Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kinsale Restaurant terrible service

We used to go to the Kinsale a lot in the past but the prices just kept creeping up making it a very expensive night out, i understand the daughter who used to be there has left the island which is a shame if so as she was so helpful in the restaruant. Your visit was not very pleasent by the sound of it....

I would also agree with the comments about Paddys Paradise, not the cheapest place but all fresh home made BIG meals with a great view out to sea.

Keith

Ayr, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
190 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kinsale Restaurant terrible service

Strange. I read a lot of reviews and saw a lot of comments on the Kinsale when I first ventured into the Matagorda area, all were good.

I kept meaning to try there over the last couple of years but never got round to it.

Eventually got there a fortnight ago and the food wasn't bad but the service weird. The waitress/owner took my order but did not write it down. When it came it was not what we had ordered. When I said something about it I was made to feel it was my fault. Don't get me wrong it was well cooked but that doesnt take away the mistakes.

Despite not being very busy, the service was 'distant', not unfriendly but not friendly either. As a dining experience it was pretty dire.

I did critic a review on Tipadvisor but left it at that. Now someone else has chirped up I have put in my twopennorth.

I would imagine there are a lot of people happy with the Kindsale but having been made to feel 'uncomfortable' ourselves I doubt we will be reurning.

Belfast
Level Contributor
796 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kinsale Restaurant terrible service

Had similar experience Billy to you in that I ordered fillet stuffed with prawns and it was in edible as it was so tough. Waited about an hour as well but didn't mind as we were having wine and watching fireworks display going on in nearby Los Jameos hotel. U weren't their the same night by any chance? Anyway, since making it onto my top five I doubt I will return as food, service and price just doesn't warrant another visit. Wrote about it in my trip review.

4. Re: Kinsale Restaurant terrible service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 15, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen