We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

puerto del carmen

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
puerto del carmen

staying at La Penita in jan / feb for 26 nights self catering ,is it cheaper to eat out or visit supermarket to cook ourselves or a mixture of both ? never been before or stayed for that long anywhere so a bit of advice needed please, .

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: puerto del carmen

I think over 26 mights a bit of both would be best. There's a large Spar shop not far from La Penita which have a good range of everything you'd need. The facilities in La Penita would allow being able to cook meals no problem, along with the cooker you also get a microwave.

There are some really good value places to eat out at so you don't have to do 5* dining when you do eat out ;) Right on your doorstep is Friends Bar & they do great value pub grub

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: puerto del carmen

Appreciate that thanks

Belfast
Level Contributor
806 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: puerto del carmen

a bit of both I would say. However as Miss Chief rightly points out there are some really good value places beside La Penita including Friends Bar. I would def visit Pinochio's as thought it was really good value, excellent service with large tasty portions. If i was you, I would consider making breakfast and lunch and possibly dining out in evening. Lucky you going for 26days, so jealous.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: puerto del carmen

Well I'm 65 and our lass is 64 so we thought we'd give it a go and if we like it will do the same again in 2014 , thanks for the info

Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
8,691 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: puerto del carmen

If you pick the right places and times you can have a full 3 course meal including wine/beer for about 10 euro's. There's chinese buffets for 7 euro's.

Remember if you're shopping local produce is cheap - fish for example. Imported goods are dear. There's a vegetable market on saturday morning in Arrecife. Also out of pdc supermarkets are cheaper than in resort ones so for big shops try hiperdino within the deiland shopping centre on a regular bus route going. Bit a walk coming back or taxi.

pdcAR
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: puerto del carmen

Hi, please do not shoot the messenger.....only a thought.

Over 26 nights it is well worth doing a big shop as Richt says.

Not as much for the overall savings but definitely for the wider choice and savings on F & V, soft drinks etc.

A taxi would be about 35E return to airport hypermarket but....

'I believe' there is a shopping service available, on Fridays, 2 hours return trip to hypermarket, pick up from your apartment, 16e per couple.

At this price you would certainly be on a par with home.

Edited: 10:27 am, October 30, 2012
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: puerto del carmen

Thanks each one and all for the info

pdcAR
Level Contributor
283 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: puerto del carmen

Hi, I have confirmed that the ‘shopping trip’ service is still running from PdC and Calero.

It is operated by a fully licensed (transfer) company by minibus, door to door on Thursday and Friday.

( I do not think I can name them here….unless someone asks the question !!

I have no connection whatsoever)

UK
Destination Expert
for Ayia Napa, Puerto Del Carmen, Skala, Cyprus, Protaras
Level Contributor
14,013 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: puerto del carmen

Name away............I say. pdcAR

UK
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: puerto del carmen

What is the name of the airport hypermarket, please?

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen