We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A great weeks Holiday

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
A great weeks Holiday

Hello All,

Slightly delayed getting this TR up, but better late than never as the saying goes

A week in PDC Mar 17th – 24th

Couldn’t have asked for better weather, glorious sunshine every day

I had to make sure that we adopted my companies philosophy of “stay safe in the sunshine”, ensuring that we hydrated regularly at the many watering holes in the resort

We had a lazy kind of week, we’re not lie by the pool/go to the beach types and usually hire a car or take a bus for a few days out exploring. This time however we just walked around 6/7 miles a day stopping for drinks/chill out/ food when hungry.

In fact it was just what was called for after a hectic last few months at work.

For food we visited many old favourites, just as good as always

Emma’s Cantina,

Pinocchio’s

La Dolce Vita

Friends

Purple Turtle

The Great Wall (Chinese)

Yum Yums (Good sandwiches for a lighter bite on the balcony)

We also tried a few new places

TJ’s tapas, …….Very tasty food at very reasonable prices, however most of the meat comes on the bone and I’m not a big fan of that, I enjoyed my meal but it would have been much better had it been off the bone

Cantina Don Rafael, ……We called in for a snack during the day after a long beach walk, they had a special on Fajitas and although good price and perfectly edible, the quality was a couple of leagues below Emma’s Cantina for Mexican food

Taberna Del Nino ……..Nice little tapas place up near McDonalds a little expensive I thought for the portion size and I was expecting a little better after the things I had heard. (I would not say the food was not nice just that I was a little disappointed)

We won a couple of meals in the quiz at the Barge Inn one night and they were both very enjoyable

For Drinks, we’d stop where we fancied but a few of the old favourites were visited several times and didn’t disappoint

Spenders,

Friends

Chadwicks,

Nikki Beach…

Ruta 66

Bluebells (great jugs of ice cream cocktails, great way to spend a couple of hours relaxing in the afternoon

Hawaiian Bar

I noticed that Tropical disco now seems to have closed or is at least having some serious refurbishment. It was full of rubble the whole week we were there

We called into Bourbon Street (Old town) one night to see an old friend, They had ice cold bottles of Peroni (330ml) at €2, I thought it rude not to help get rid of them !!

**A Mention at this stage should go to Sunset Beach. Having been to PDC numerous times before and having never been in, we decided to give it a shot, I do not understand how bars in these tough times can justify charging almost double for a beer (especially in the day time, no live music etc etc) as their competitors yards away who have just as good a view etc etc ….needless to say we only had one drink and won’t be going back in a hurry **

For Quizzes

The Owl and Pussycat.

The Barge Inn

Both are great fun and the drinks are very reasonable

Been back now just over a month and already looking at dates for the next visit

Happy Holidays

Danny

Mentioned in this post
The Purple Turtle
The Purple Turtle
1,174 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Great Wall
Great Wall
489 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Cantina Don Rafael
Cantina Don Rafael
2,000 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Bluebells
Bluebells
566 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Lanzarote, Spain
Level Contributor
6,534 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Nice report/review Danny..... I think Tropical is going to become a clothes shop but we will see...have heard rummors about a TGI Fridays opening somewhere as well, time will tell I guess....

cheers

Keith

Edited: 12:47 pm, April 27, 2011
Harrow, United...
Destination Expert
for York
Level Contributor
9,406 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Danny,

Tropical is no more. I know what's happening with it but asked not to say at moment.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Well Danny,thats what I call an informative,well thought review.I have just put a memo of all your recommendations in my phone,as we are going in June.I can't wait to try Emma's Cantina,and the Purple Turtle for afternoon beerson the terrace...

Mentioned in this post
The Purple Turtle
The Purple Turtle
1,174 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,933 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Thanks for the review Danny.

We are heading there on Sunday for a week so I have written down some of the suggestions you gave above.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Top review Danny, as informative and thorough as ever!

We really do share the same taste in bars and restaurants, good to see you've tried a couple of new one's as well.

Shame you didn't enjoy the Taberna as much as we did, we're used to the La Vina type when we go to the city centre, and thought the portions we large compared to that.

Agree with Cantina Don Rafael, nice Mexican food and a little cheaper than Emma's, but not many restaurants can compare with her place.

Wont be missing out on the Bluebells ice cream cocktails at new year, they sound great.

Nice enough Bolton PR lad on at Sunset Beach, but we wont be going there after the reports I've read!

Great stuff mate.

YM

Mentioned in this post
Cantina Don Rafael
Cantina Don Rafael
2,000 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Bluebells
Bluebells
566 Reviews
Lanzarote, Spain
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Thanks for your comments guys, I hope they have given you a few new places to try out and help enhance your holiday experience

Happy Holidays

Danny

Liverpool
Level Contributor
312 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Danny,

Reading your report makes me want to jump on the next plane to PDC !

such a shame about the Tropical - the kid's loved the dancefloor that lit up - kept them amused for ages !

Think I might have to start planning another visit !

Cheers

Paul

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Del Carmen
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Cheers Paul,

I know exactly what you mean !!

I'm already looking at flights for the next one !

Happy Holidays

Danny

Newtownabbey...
Level Contributor
246 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A great weeks Holiday

Think I will print this out to keep for reference as going to Lanzarote for first time in Aug.. Can't wait just paid final bit so 14wks & counting...

Mentioned in this post
Lanzarote
Lanzarote
Canary Islands, Spain
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
349 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A great weeks Holiday

yhi you will love we do been going for years 14 weeks for us and counting cant wait

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Del Carmen