We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No more bookings TBBC

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Topic
No more bookings TBBC

Hi I am booked to go to the TBBC in February next year, After more incidents today in Kenya i looked on Thomson website and saw they are now not doing bookings before May 2014. So I am assuming my holiday is cancelled now. Has anyone heard from Thomson. Not sure what to do next? Thanks

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,164 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No more bookings TBBC

Dolly, do you mean May 2015?

Suffolk
Level Contributor
36 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No more bookings TBBC

We'd had our October holiday cancelled. Thought we were just a bit unlucky as Thomson had said they would resume 4 Nov and we had been booked last week of October. Had re-arranged timings to Feb next year too, but when I looked on Thomson web site their next available date was May 2015. We hadn't actually booked as when our initial holiday was cancelled we were advised to wait until Aug when a decision would be made re the Kenya winter programme. We therefore held off but seems the decision has been made for us. Phoned them on Friday and they confirmed that their Kenya winter programme has been "pulled". I'm still getting emails from Thomson almost daily though promoting Kenya which a bit galling to say the least!!! Talk about rubbing it in!!!

Edited: 6:05 am, July 07, 2014
uk
Level Contributor
1,335 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: No more bookings TBBC

if they are not taking bookings till.2015 i think.you might find they drop kenya completly from there operation

all other uk package operators done so ages ago

lets face it its a business and plans have to put in place. why bother if they have to pull people out

so imho i hink that will be the last of packages to kenya

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: No more bookings TBBC

Have just talked to my travel agent and she didn't know anything!!!!! Said no deposits returned till she has been updated from head office. I have only paid an initial 300 pounds deposit with another 200 to be paid on the 19th July. I said I was not going to pay any more for a holiday that is now not available!!! Surely I don't have to pay this and then wait to get 500 back later on!! Doesn't make much sense to me!!!!

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: No more bookings TBBC

Just received a call from my travel agent to say they are going day by day on whether Kenya is cancelled or not!!! I said surely if it not available to book now for February it is not available!!! My friends wanted to come with us but they cannot book. Makes me think any excuse to keep my deposit!!!

Gtr Manchester
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No more bookings TBBC

Hi All,

We booked the week before they pulled everyone out of Kenya. We are due to travel 19th Jan 2015. We left it a few weeks to see if we would be contacted by Thompson but heard nothing. Whilst we were in the area we thought we would nip in and ask about the ban. We were told to 'If we cancelled now we would loose all the money (£500) however if we arent allowed to travel they will either offer a full refund or in the case of another couple who were due to go that week they Thompson had paid to upgrade them and they went to Mauritius. If we are allowed to travel in Jan but decide not to go we can pay a £50 admin fee per person to change to another destination.

We genuinely want to go to Kenya but the more i hear the less confident i feel about our saftey. We are just going to wait it out and see what happens (keeping my fingers crossed!)

Leicester
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No more bookings TBBC

Due to go to Kenya on 3rd November and have been told the winter holidays are still going ahead. Could not tell me why, if I try and book exactly the same holiday on line today, that it's not available. Not good customer service at all - just said decisions made on a day to day basis which is no good if you need too arrange jabs etc. I have one window of opportunity for a big holiday so need to know what is going on or change holiday destination, so not impressed at all.

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: No more bookings TBBC

I am in the same position I work in tourism here in Spain and Feb is my only time for a holiday so need to know what is going, surely if they are not taking bookings then the holiday is not available. Like you i wouldn't mind if they had the common courtesy to contact us. I have said I will not pay my other part of he deposit unless they can guarantee the holiday.. I have a friend who has family in Kenya and she has said it will get worse out there for the time being. It is sad I was so looking forward to visiting this lovely country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,453 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: No more bookings TBBC

As a business their objective is to obtain your deposit and hold on to it as long as possible, they already know their Winter 2014/5 plans.

spain
Level Contributor
156 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: No more bookings TBBC

My point exactly. i work in this business in private catering and know exactly how far they book ahead as I liaise with several travel companies. I am not giving them anymore money for a holiday i am not going to get, you don't go to a shoe shop and put a deposit to order a pair of shoes knowing you are not going to get them!!!!

Get answers to your questions about Watamu