We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Leather shops query

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
236 reviews
Save Topic
Leather shops query

Does anybody know if there are any places near Watamu to get made-to-measure leather jackets please?

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Leather shops query

You can get anything you want made - there's always someone who knows someone else for a small commission. One word of warning, be careful that you are sold genuine leather. I bought an item from a well known company in Mombasa - it was advertised as real leather, looked and smelt like leather but within 12 months it was peeling. Examination found it to be bycast leather - a mixture of leather strands and PU which was incompatible with the climate in Mombasa..

Is there any particular reason you want to make the purchase in Kenya instead of London?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
14,954 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Leather shops query

Hi,

I'm intrigued why you are asking, bespoke tailoring and / or leather jackets aren't something I would associate with Kenya, at least not here at the coast, you might occasionally see a lady wearing a thin leather fashion jacket (probably imported) but I can't remember ever seeing a man in a leather jacket in my 6 years of visiting then living at the coast. There are seamstresses who will knock up or alter dresses or school uniforms but I can't remember seeing anything like a tailor who might tackle a jacket in cloth let alone leather.

Of course it might be an aspect of Kenyan life that for some reason I am blissfully oblivious of

London UK
Level Contributor
236 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Leather shops query

We can get it done in London quite easily but it is a hankering that my wife has to get one made in Kenya as an anniversary present. I suppose we should have got one in India earlier this year but didn't think about it at the time..

Peter

Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Leather shops query

I would steer her towards a nice piece of bespoke jewellery rather than take a risk.

Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
3,724 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Leather shops query

I've been to Watamu a couple of times, don't think you'll get a tailor-made leather jacket. Try Malindi instead.

6. Re: Leather shops query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:02 pm, February 11, 2013
Somerset
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
6,962 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Leather shops query

Turkey.

8. Re: Leather shops query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Watamu