We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach boys

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham...
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Beach boys

HELP! Just came back from the most amazing holiday at Turtle Bay Beach Club. While we were there we spent lots of time with one of the beach boys who took us to many different places including to his home to meet his wife. Of course this is his job and we paid him for this but when we left we exchanged mobile numbers and email addresses. The day after we got home he phoned to see if we arrived home ok and then txt a few days later to say his emails werent getting through to me. Today I received a txt message begging me for help as his father was very sick and he needs 250000 KS to pay the hospital bill and could I send him the money. I feel split between wanting to help and not wanting to be conned, has anyone else got any advice please!

colchester
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Beach boys

I'm used to poverty in North African countries, and also that in Cuba.

I'm sure that I'll find exactly the same in Kenya, where some have decided to milk the tourist cash cow, or at least try to.

The annoying thing is that this small percentage skews the view of the rest of us to the whole population.

Yes I still believe that there are some genuine folks about, but I'm always suspicious and start waiting for the mentions of relatives needing help.

I'm really glad that you realised that this could be dodgy, before being parted from your money!!

Jaycine

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Beach boys

❝ The annoying thing is that this small percentage skews the view of the rest of us to the whole population. ❞

Sadly at the coast in Kenya it is the whole population that you cannot trust, very occasionally you meet someone you can trust, and its not just the tourist cash cow whose money they think they have a right to, its every mzungu (local, ex-pat, or tourist) and any Kenyan who has money, and it not just the poor, we used to have a friend with his own business who drives a BMW and after initially helping us out with a couple of things he started to expect money and asking me to bring things back for him from UK trips that he did not expect to pay for.

Having said all that please don't let it put you off coming back, Tracy, its still a lovely country and apart from anything else the ones that do work in the tourism related trade and their extended families, the shop keepers they spend their wages with and their families, the people who grow fruit and veg in their shambas, etc, etc all need the money you inject into the economy through hotels, restaurants, bars, etc

Nairobi, Kenya
11 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Beach boys

Not true...its a business that has been going on,...dont give in

Watamu
4 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Beach boys

This is a con 100 percent. Do let me have his name and number and I will investigate further for you....

hereford
Level Contributor
82 posts
275 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Beach boys

They are a friendly bunch on Watamu beach, have never had a problem myself, but never wise to exchange mobile or email no's, Just be friendly with them whilst there & maybe leave them a few of your Tshirts etc, but leave it at that

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
115 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Beach boys

I agree with the comments on the Watamu beach boys......I didn't find them to be too pushy as often the case in other locations. There were not many of them and they were OK. The market traders on the beach were also lovely. I bought lots of small items from lots of different stalls, but I would not give them my phone number even if asked.

Travel teaches us so much about the world. This incident might be a hard lesson to learn and may be upsetting, but don't give up on a return trip to Kenya just because of this experience. Next time, it wont happen again, because you won't do it. What is good is that you shared the information which might avoid it happening to others who read the thread.

Happy travels

Bakersfield...
Level Contributor
3 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Beach boys

Sounds like he may just want your money do not send anything unless you go back to Watamu and see first hand. The beach boys are used to taking advantage of whites. Just be cautious. I spent a month there at a volunteer house and got to know the area.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,216 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Beach boys

Just to say before anyone else posts on this thread that it is a 4 month old thread that has just been resurrected

1 post
Save Reply
29. Re: Beach boys

My husband is Kenyan , they not all the same I been married to my husband 9yrs you do get con men n when u mention beech boys all jump n say con not nessesarly tho lv !!! I understand your doubts not saying its not a con just don't judge all same , u do get genuine ppl too. X

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Beach boys

Just to repeat post 8:-

For tourists and visitors:-

Assume that everyone in Kenya has an objective to part you from your money, don't believe anything you are told, dis-regard any stories and don't trust ANYBODY.

The country isn't known as 'corrupt Kenya' for nothing.

Heed the warning.

Get answers to your questions about Watamu