We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Off to TBBC 17th october :)

just looked at long range weather and its looks like rain and thunder storms everyday :(

Are there any sunbeds at TBBC or in Watamu lol

On a more serious note, Does anybody know the site where you can download a Visa form so you can fill in at your leasure? or is it best to get one in Kenya on arrival and fill in there?

Also how much is the entry and exit fees?

The Big Countdown is On lol !!!!!!!!

Edited: 8:25 am, October 11, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
990 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Sarge,

Weather forecasts aren't that reliable, come on!

All you need for the Visa is here:

kenyahighcommission.net/khccontent/visaspass…

Cannot help with the Fess, I always fly scheduled so mine are taken care of.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Hi,

we haven't had a thunderstorm here at the coast for months, that is why I started this Weather Report thread because the forecasts frighten people into thinking its raining all the time when in reality we are basking under blue skies and hot sun,

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294210-i9512-k4…

We have had two days of very unusual, extremely wet weather, we have had the tail end of a massive storm that blew up in the Indian Ocean, it is expected to clear tomorrow.

But recently the weather has been overwhelmingly hot and sunny, though we have had a few overnight showers.

Unlike the last 48 hours, showers tend to be torrential but they tend to be short and very localised, which is often why the forecasts say what they do, they say rain there might be one short downpour in one particular place with the rest of the region basking in sun, and the forecast was correct - it rained (somewhere)

You can get the visa in advance from the Kenya High Commission or you can get it on arrival at either Nairobi or Mombasa Airports.

It costs a little more to get visas in advance, special delivery postage there and back, cost of a postal order and passport photos, and of course you have to trust your passport to the Royal Mail.

In the case of Nairobi whether you have a visa or not makes little difference to the time you queue, as the flights are scheduled and planefuls of people don't hit Immigration at the same time, so either way you will be through relatively quickly and certainly before the bags have come off.

However at Mombasa because a charter plane full of tourists hits Immigration at the same time, it does make a difference in the time you are in the queue, the queue for people with visas is shorter than the queues for people wanting to buy them and it moves twice as fast. But once through Immigration you may still have to wait for your bags and if you are on a holiday company transfer you will still have to wait for the slowest customer.

If you want to pay at the airport, then download the form, if you fill it in at home, (saves the scrum for forms, pens and somewhere to write at the airport) and get seats near the front of the plane you should be near the front of the queue.

They usually accept dollars ($50) pounds (£30) and euros (€40) at Nairobi,, but they occasionally insist on dollars. It is obviously better for you to pay in Pounds . They always accept pounds at Mombasa.

Departure tax only applies to Tui (Thomson and First Choice) charter flight customers.

Departure tax is just like the other taxes that are added on to the cost of your international plane ticket, so you will have paid it as part of the taxes on your international flight out of Nairobi.

Everyone else includes the tax in the price of the ticket, but a couple fo years ago Thomson decide to pass it on to the customer, so in effect putting up their prices, whilst appearing not to do so and seemingly passing the blame onto the Kenyan Government

It is $20 per person or 2100 shillings or £15 or £16 (people have recently reported both)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Thanks for the very usefull information Doffcocker

flying into mombasa with thomson.

What site do i use to download the form so i can fill in and pay at airport?

Thanks again can,t wait to get out there

Stuart

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Hi,

Its the Kenya High Commission one on GJGB's post

South Glos
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Hi Doffcocker,

I have just downloaded the Visa form x2 for Kenya to complete so that my friend and I have it ready when coming on holiday next month. This may seem a stupid question but do we still need to get a passport size photo done to hand in with our form?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Hi,

No you don't need a photo to get a visa on arrival, they usually photograph and finger print you at the desk

South Glos
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Hi Doffcocker,

Thank you for the info much appreciated.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Karibu (you are welcome)

Chichester, United...
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

do we need a little passport sized photo with us for the visa? were buying ours when we arrive in mombassa airport.

or do we just fill in form there and pay the $50?

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visa for Kenya and thr Weather

Jade, please read posts № 5 & 6 above

Get answers to your questions about Watamu