We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which antimalarial?

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
51 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Which antimalarial?

Hi everyone,

I have booked a 2 week trip to Watamu in August and went to see the travel nurse this afternoon. She has suggested that I could take Malarone, Doxycycline or Lariam. I'm really not sure which would be best for me to take. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any replies.

Katherine.

Mentioned in this post
Watamu
Watamu
Coast Province, Kenya
Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
16,200 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Which antimalarial?

Further to the skin colour point I've only met one person who has the photo-sensitive reaction. It is not as many people think that you burn more easily, but rather that you get a rash of small blister like spots. The person was here on holiday so persisted with the doxy and limited her sun exposure, where she would normally have been sunbathing.

Why not ask your doctor whether its possible to take both together, then if your wife doesn't get the side effect she could stop the Malerone, is she does she could stop the doxy

UK
Level Contributor
7 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Which antimalarial?

Thanks Doff.

Still undecided - maybe I should do a trial.

Wakefield, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Which antimalarial?

lariam for me one tab once a week.... cheap cheap cheap and never had a problem :)

34. Re: Which antimalarial?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 11, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Watamu