We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which antimalarial?

Which Watamu hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
49 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Which antimalarial?

Hi everyone,

I have booked a 2 week trip to Watamu in August and went to see the travel nurse this afternoon. She has suggested that I could take Malarone, Doxycycline or Lariam. I'm really not sure which would be best for me to take. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for any replies.

Katherine.

nyc
Level Contributor
14,424 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which antimalarial?

There are hundreds of threads on this question. Suggest you do a "search" on this board on subject "malaria meds" and read, read, read.

You have to inform yourself about these various options, all of which have different protocols - when to take, with what, how many of what duration of time, side-effects and costs - and then depending on your own health history in discussion with doc, make your decision. No one "right" is right for every traveler for various reasons.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,810 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which antimalarial?

Specifically, you can refer to: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g775870-i12044-k44…

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
49 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which antimalarial?

Thank you for my replies, I've decided to go with Doxycycline. I can't wait to get to Kenya!

Nyeri, Kenya
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which antimalarial?

Good. I look Lariam earlier this year and experienced some disturbing neurological problems, which persisted for about 3 weeks (severe dizziness) and my Wife experienced some disturbing dreams. Never again.

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
49 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which antimalarial?

Ooh dear that sounds like an awful experience with the Lariam, I'll bare that in mind when I'm thinking about anti malarials in the future, so thanks for that! I hope you got back on your feet quickly!

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which antimalarial?

I rotate between Malarone and Lariam (not Doxy due to the sunlight sensitivity issue) and don't have any problems with either. Usually take them with food and copious amounts of alcohol. Doctor advised me in the beginning to start taking them a couple of weeks before going just to see if there's a reaction then you will have time to change.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which antimalarial?

I've been Reading lots of posts about malaria tablets over the past few months and I'm sure regular posters get fed up of answering the same q's so I apologise in advance but I can't find any that answer my specific question. I have narrowed my choice down to malerone or doxy. I have to admit I am swayed towards doxy due to the price but I am a sun worshiper and would lie for a few hours each day sunbathing. The sun sensitivity reaction with doxy is worrying me, if I encountered this could I change to malerone out there? Anyone any ideas of the percentage that are affected by sun sensitivity? Any personal factors that cause one to be more likely to experience this I.e light skin?

Thanks Ww

Wolverhampton...
Level Contributor
49 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which antimalarial?

I had a look at some old posts yesterday and saw that around 3% of people have sun sensitivity with the tablets. I don't think it's necessarily skin burning, more of a rash with direct exposure. I always cover myself in factor 50 sun cream anyway so I'm hoping I'll be ok. I'm also going to pack a kaftan and lots of t-shirts and a hat to cover up!

I was put off Malarone with people saying about sickness, I don't think it's side effect free but there is plenty of info on the web about that. I hope this has been helpful :)

Alsace, France
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which antimalarial?

Docycyline is a not actually an antimalarial. It is an antibiotic and the first choice for treating cholera. But it also is effective against sub-Saharan malaria.

However the main problem is that it makes skin hypesensitive to sunlight and so I think that you might be better off taking Malarone. My son works in sub-Sarahan Africa for a humanitarian NGO and has to take Doxy because he's out there for 12-15 months at a time. However he has to wear a hat, long cotton sleeves and protect the back of his neck to prevent sunburn as he's out in full sun most of the day for his work.

Both Malarone and Doxy are daily meds. I think it might be worth trying a couple of days of Malarone well before you travel to see if you have any side effects taking them, which is what I plan to do when I go to Kenya in December.

If you do decide to buy antimalarial tablets in Kenya, make sure that you go to a pharmacy as you want to make sure that you get the 'real thing' and not a counterfeit drug which might be more widely available and cheaper but not do what it says on the box. Just my 2c worth.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,214 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which antimalarial?

Doxycycline is a broad spectrum anti-biotic, one of its uses is as an anti-malarial, it acts on the liver stage of malaria, which is why you have to take it for 28 days after leaving the risk area. Photo sensitivity is rare, and I suspect that it is purely down to the lottery of whether you will react or not rather than your colouring. I am pale-skinned and fair haired and have taken doxy over periods of up to 6 months in Kenya, and I know several people of similar colouring who take it with no side effects. I have only met one person who suffered from the photo-sensitivity side effect, and as said above this was in the form of small blisters rather than burning, The unfortunate thing is that you will only know if you are in the minority of people who will suffer from side effects from any anti-malarial after you try them

Get answers to your questions about Watamu