We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet Access

kent
Level Contributor
849 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Internet Access

We shall be going back to Turtle Bay in a few weeks time and cant wait.....

We would like to take our Netbook with us to email home does anyone know if there is Wi Fi at the Hotel or if there is some kind of Top Up Card we can buy to get online without paying to use the Hotels Computers?

Any tips would be great thanks.

Jackie

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,960 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet Access

Hi,

for 1.999/- you can buy a dongle from either Safaricom or Orange, you then buy scratch card credits which you use to buy data bundles.

personally I use Orange because its data charges are much cheaper

More info on both here

orange.co.ke/cont/index.php…

http://www.safaricom.co.ke/index.php?id=613

kent
Level Contributor
849 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet Access

Hi

Thanks for the Dongle info. Are these available to buy in Watamu?

I suppose if I bought something similar in the UK it wouldn't work in Kenya?

Thanks for your help.

Jackie

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet Access

tbbc has wi-fi but you have to pay for it ! just take a short walk down the beach to Ocean sports, the wi-fi there is free :)

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,960 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet Access

Hi,

Don't know about Watamu but there is a Safaricom stall airside at Nairobi Airport and an Orange one as you leave the International arrivals, and according to their website there is a Safaricom shop in Malindi

If you are not coming in through Nairobi looks like Ocean Sports might be your best bet

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet Access

If you want to go the dongle route, ask Abdul to get you one from mombasa, he got me mine from there :) but if you are only wanting to send the odd email, use the pc in reception , which is free to send emails

kent
Level Contributor
849 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Internet Access

Arhhhh Mr Smudger ( Phil )

Thanks for the info. Is Ocean Sports in the same direction as Hemingways? So they don't mind you using their free Wi Fi there then? Is that the Dive Centre?

Thanks

Jackie x

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Internet Access

Ocean sports is right next to hemmingways, the place with the huge decking, we spend a lot of time there and as long as you are having a drink or eating there they don't mind at all if you are using their wi-fi :) Helen the lady who runs it is a good friend of ours , she is married to Andy who used to be the resident DJ at TBBC

8. Re: Internet Access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:21 am, February 17, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Watamu