We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

We can stay an extra night in Tuscania (mid-October) if we get up and out early to arrive FCO by 1030. Is morning traffic a big problem between these two sites? I's appreciate hearing from someone who makes that drive regularly.

Best Regards from San Diego

12 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
1. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

What time is your flight? You need to be at the airport at least 3 hours before your flight. Even with 3 hours, sometimes clearing security, etc can cut it tight. Also, you need to factor in the time to return the car. It is approximately a 3+ hour drive to FCO, depending where in Toscana you are.

Anyway, personally, I wouldn't do it. If I have a morning flight, I always spend the night before in Rome. Yes, traffic can be a real bear. If there is any accident or just overall traffic in general, you could be tied up in it for hours. One time I was going to pick up my husband at FCO and there was an accident on the GRA after the exit toll. It was shut down for 3 hours and it ended up being in the lanes going in the other direction. I would not risk it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
2. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

Thank you for that. Is it 3 hours before the flight at all Italian airports?

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
3. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

Yes, any flight abroad, you need to be at the airport 3 hours prior. Lately, it seems as if this is not enough time - In October, I was at FCO 3.5 hours before my flight, assuming I could grab a coffee with my extra time. I had none and barely made my flight. The check-in counter at Terminal 5 was miles deep and then with the transport over to the gates, the security checks, it all becomes quite involved and time consuming. You have to go through several passport checks, security, etc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

Dear Cat,

Whew! Thanks for a voice on the scene. You must live there! Like you, we will get a hotel at FCO the prior night. We need to be there at 9 then for a 1230 flight to the U.S.

Our October trip begins in Milan w/a group, then we stay south 4-5 days.

Mille Grazie Cat!

Ron

San Diego

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
5. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

Two hotels at FCO: Hilton Garden Inn and Airport Hilton. Both have free shuttles to Terminal 5 (the terminal for all US bound flights). Airport Hilton also offers a free shuttle to Rome center, so if you want to spend your last night in Rome to have dinner and tour around...it's great. They have the shuttle schedule at the front desk. Garden Inn unfortunately does not offer this shuttle. Some suggest staying directly in Rome proper and taking a taxi in the morning, it is up to you. Both are feasible. Booked early enough ahead, either hotel is reasonable in price.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
85 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

Thank you for that info. The idea of setting up at the airport then going into Rome for the evening is ideal. You have been a gigantic help.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
2,539 posts
7. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

Not a problem!

Naperville, Illinois
Level Contributor
933 posts
27 reviews
8. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

We will be leaving Rome to go back to the US, but we go through Munich first on an AIR DOLOMITI flight. Does anyone know which terminal we would leave from and do we still need to be there 3 hrs early? In Florence we have arrived at the airport for an early morning flight only to find the desks not yet open. Our flight leaves Rome at 8:45 am. Will the desks be open at 5:45am?

Europe
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
149 reviews
9. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

TUSCANIA is a town in Lazio. Is that what you're talking about? #1 is talking about TUSCANY. Not the same thing at all!!!

It's 107km or one hour and 10 minutes from Tuscania to FCO. I always allow 90 minutes because i need to stop for gas before i drop of the rental car. I make the trip every month.

Edited: 6:43 pm, July 14, 2012
Europe
Level Contributor
3,396 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning

> Yes, any flight abroad, you need to be at the airport 3 hours prior.

That's simply not true. A European flight only requires 90minutes. It the US security that requires extra time.

Reply to: Drive time> Tuscania to Fiumicino - early weekday morning
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Tuscania
More Tuscania Topics