We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

North Carolina
Level Contributor
428 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

I just submitted my review, but thought I would also post it here. We had a great trip!

If anyone has any questions, then feel free to ask...I will do my best to answer.

Iberostar Rose Hall Suites – Another Great Stay!

My husband and I, along with our 4 year old daughter, stayed at Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for 8 nights in late May / early June. As background, my husband and I have been to Jamaica several times over the past 10+ years. This is the first resort that we have stayed at more than once. We have stayed at Grand Lido Negril, Couples Swept Away, Idle Awhile, Iberostar Rose Hall Suites (previously), Beaches Negril, and Braco Beach Resort. We have also visited Ocho Rios via cruise ship. This was our daughter’s third visit to Jamaica. Now, on to my review of our return visit to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites.

SUMMARY

-----------------------

Overall, this was another great trip to Jamaica. As usual, we enjoyed our time there. The resort, grounds, and our room were all very nice, clean, and well-maintained. The beach, while having some rocks near the edge of the water line, was still very nice and met our needs. We also enjoyed the infinity pool and lazy river (our daughter’s favorite areas). We didn’t have any issues finding shade at either the pool or beach area (and we were never up early to ‘reserve’ loungers). Food and drinks were very good. Service was also very good during our stay. We would definitely return to Iberostar Rose Hall Suites for another stay.

PRE-TRIP / BOOKING / TRAVEL

-----------------------

We booked our trip through Mitch at TripGuy. It was a GREAT experience. I had corresponded with Mitch in the past, but this was our first time booking with him. It will definitely not be our last! He was excellent throughout the process. I do quite a bit of research and planning for our trips. Booking with Mitch was a nice change, as he handled every detail.

Our flights were booked through American. Our flight to Jamaica was actually on USAir, with a stop in Charlotte. Our return flight was on American, with a stop in Miami. No issues with flights or luggage.

CLUB MOBAY ARRIVAL / DEPARTURE

-----------------------

We added Club MoBay arrival and departure to the package that we purchased through TripGuy. Mitch handled the reservation and sent us the confirmation. When we arrived, there was a Club MoBay rep waiting with a sign with our name on it. He checked our paperwork and then took us to the Club MoBay line for immigration. We arrived around 11:45AM on a Wednesday. The immigration lines were not long, so we didn’t save much time on arrival.

As for departure, we probably spent a little more than an hour in the Club MoBay departure lounge. It was a nice and relaxing space…much better than the waiting areas near the gates. We would book departure again for sure.

TRANSFERS

-----------------------

We booked our transfers as part of our package. Our transfers were with Reggae Tours. Again, Mitch at TripGuy handled the reservations (and confirmations). Peter was our driver and was courteous and professional. We would definitely use their service again.

RESORT/GROUNDS

-----------------------

The resort and grounds are clean, well-maintained, and very nice.

SUITE / ROOM

-----------------------

We were initially assigned a room on the ground floor. I had requested a room on a high floor, but we were told that there were no rooms available within our category on a higher floor. We ended up paying an additional $30/night for an oceanview on the 4th floor in building 3. The room was nice and spacious, with a sitting area with a sleeper sofa. The bathroom had double sinks, separate shower, and tub. The minibar was stocked with water, soft drinks, and beer (not Red Stripe).

BEACH / POOL

-----------------------

Overall, the beach was very nice. There were some rocks, but it wasn’t too bad. There were always plenty of loungers available, in the sun and shade.

The infinity pool was great! We spent most of our time on the shallow side with our daughter. Again, we did not have any issues finding seats at the pool either. We also spent some time at the lazy river. The pool and lazy river were our daughter's favorite areas to play.

Servers would come around at both the pool and beach. Since they were making rounds, service could be a bit slow, but it was sufficient.

KIDS CLUB

-----------------------

Our daughter went to the kids club a couple of times during our stay. She stayed and played for a while each time. She went one night for dinner and a movie. It was not that busy during the day…likely due to most families being at the pool, lazy river, or beach, which I can understand, as that is where my daughter preferred to spend time. Overall, my daughter enjoyed the time she spent there.

SERVICE

-----------------------

Overall, the service was very good. There were a couple of days during breakfast where service was not up to par. It was mostly when we were seated in the adjoining restaurant, so I started always asking to be seating in the main/buffet restaurant area during breakfast.

Here are several staff members that stood out during our stay.

Dining Room – Marika, Doreen, Natrisha, Dewight

Housekeeping – Tullamarine

Pool Bar – Jellybean

Kids Club – Ms. Roxy

Unfortunately, I didn’t get the name of the young man who brought our luggage to our initial room, showed me the available room on the 4th floor, and then moved our luggage when we changed rooms.

FOOD/DRINKS

-----------------------

Overall, the food and drinks were good.

Both Appleton Rum and Rum Cream were available (those are two of the things that I look forward to when visiting Jamaica). The drinks were very good.

We ate breakfast at the buffet each morning. There was always a nice selection of fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices. The fresh fruit selection included options such as melon (cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon), pineapple, orange segments, kiwi, soursop, passionfruit, Jamaican apple, sugar cane (available during dinner a few nights), starfruit, whole bananas. There was a made to order omelet station (you could also order eggs any way you like). There was also a selection of meats and cheeses available. There was a Jamaican corner and a hot station that offered a variety of items each day. There was also an area that offered some selection of pancakes, waffles, and/or French toast, with various toppings each day. Cereal, milk, yogurt, and a selection of breads and pastries were also available each day.

For lunch, there was always a variety of fresh fruit, meats, cheeses, desserts and salad available. The selection of hot entrees varied each day. We ate lunch a few days in main buffet area and a few days in Aunt Ruby’s. The main buffet has the larger selection during lunch, but we could always find something in Aunt Ruby’s as well. There is a beach bbq right in front of Aunt Ruby’s during the week that is good.

For dinner, we ate once in each of the restaurants that required reservations and our remaining nights in the buffet. We agreed that the only restaurant that would warrant a return visit was Aunt Ruby’s Steakhouse. The other restaurants were fine, but nothing outstanding. It was nice to be served your entrée, as most other courses were available buffet-style. Again, the main buffet offered the most variety, so if you have a picky group, the buffet is likely your best option for dinner. Food was labeled and there was someone around if you had questions about a particular item or ingredients in a dish.

ROOM SERVICE

-----------------------

We did not order room service during our stay, so I can’t comment on the items available. I will say that it would be nice if there was some type of breakfast menu, even if only continental breakfast, available via room service. The room service menu is the same all day.

SCOTCHIES

-----------------------

We went to Scotchies one day for lunch. We thought it was good. However, we both agreed that we preferred Best in the West. Of course, that is based on our experiences with Best in the West 5+ years ago, so things could be different now. I definitely prefer the sauce we had at Best in the West…it was a nice blend of spice and taste…perfect for someone like me who likes a little spicy…but not too HOT!! At Scotchies, the available sauces were ketchup or HOT/FIRE jerk sauce.

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
3,104 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

Glad you had a good stay. We have been there twice with our kids as well and we are only changing in 2015 for a change in location. We find the iberostars to be excellent family places.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
828 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

How do you think this hotel would be for a widowed 49 year old mom and a 17 year old girl who is ready to party? Also, how rocky was the beach? I love a PERFECT beach and would not like to pay that kind of money for a rocky beach.

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

Thank you for posting this! We will be staying here for our first trip to Jamaica later this month. We will have a 2 yr old and 7 yr old with us. Did you have to pay extra for use of the Kids club, and do you know if they will take our 2 year old? I could not find anything regarding this on their website. Do you feel like we could safely travel outside of the resort with our kids? We wanted to check out a bit more of the island but are unsure of how much to venture out with small kids. TIA

North Carolina
Level Contributor
428 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

Lippylulu, overall, I think the resort is great. The beach isn't perfect, but the rocks were not that bad...they were mostly just near the edge of the water in some areas. We traveled with our 4 year old daughter, so we didn't really participate in any nighttime activities, as a full day at the beach and pool not only tired her out, but us as well. They do have shows in their theater area at night and there was at least one show on the beach one night during our stay...my husband took our daughter down for a few minutes to the show on the beach. During the day, there are different activities as well. There will be schedules posted. As for the 17 year old, it will probably depend on when you go, as she will likely enjoy the resort more if there are others her age around. I definitely wouldn't categorize this as a 'party' resort, as it is more family-oriented...and, based on our observations after dinner (on our way to our room), mostly quiet at night (with the planned/scheduled nightly shows/entertainment being the main draw).

Edited: 9:42 pm, July 08, 2014
North Carolina
Level Contributor
428 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

lbmastiff, there is no charge for ages 4 – 12 to attend the kids club. You can hire a babysitter/nanny to watch the 2 year old. As for leaving the resort, just book your excursions through one of the reputable, recommended tour companies or drivers on this site. Keep in mind that long days can be hard on the little ones, even more so with the heat, so keep that in mind when checking out different excursions / planning your day(s).

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
137 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

Is there any entertainment in the evening other than the theater shows? I'm not big on attending those, mainly because they usually start late, but we do like a piano bar or just some kind of live background music while we have cocktails and socialize. also, is there a bar at the beach that's open in the evening? At some of the resorts we've stayed at, the beach pretty much shut down at 5:00, which is a shame.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
428 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

There is a lobby bar where guests seem to mingle in the evenings. There is also a music bar / lounge. There is not a bar on the beach that is open in the evenings…the beach area pretty much shuts down in the evening, with the exception of the a la carte restaurant, Aunt Ruby’s Steakhouse, which is open for dinner (reservations required).

Long Beach...
Level Contributor
81 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

Thank you :)

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

Thanks for the review!

Is there anywhere for private dining on the beach? Is everything limited to the dining areas that are listed on the website? How was the wifi connection as well?

Thanks!

10. Re: Iberostar Rose Hall Suites Review - May 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, July 18, 2015