We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

Which Rose Hall hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
north west
Level Contributor
69 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

I'd like (ideally) to hear from people who have been to both, or at least people who know enough about the two to judge.

Prices look similar for each, so undecided which one to go for!

canada
Level Contributor
686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

If language barrier is important to you then choose Jamaica. We have never had so many food orders messed up & other communications by vacationing in Punta Cana. The beach is great there, but over-all we like Mexico & Jamaica better.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

We really enjoyed the IB Grand in PC and recommend it highly. The staff was warm and welcoming...a good overall experience with pretty good food, relative to PC. I have no desire to stay at the one in Jamaica, I'm afraid. When I go to Jamaica, I go for the beautiful beaches and stay in Negril. You will not find a beautiful beach at the IB Grand in MoBay. I also go for the wonderful Jamaican culture, and prefer to stay at Jamaican-owned resorts that really highlight this, with opportunities to go off-resort as well. My favorite is Couples Swept Away.

I'm sure an IBG anywhere will give you a high quality experience. However, that might be just the problem with the one in Jamaica. It might be that it could just be anywhere. Bavaro Beach in PC is very nice, particularly the stretch that the IBG is on. It's not Negril, but it's good. THE IBGs have good food for AIs, but Jamaica can have great food. Couples had far better food than IBG to me. Imho, you can do better in Jamaica that the IBG. I don't think you can do better in PC. I think it's the top of the line there.

Edited: 11:33 am, February 10, 2014
canada
Level Contributor
686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

Reviewer, wj has decided between the two Grands, so if the language barrier were to be important to them, which one would you choose? Other than that I'm sure that the two would be quite even in quality! As far as the beach goes, most people here think that the beach at the IGRH is beautiful, just not as top quality as Negril beach.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
945 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

Hi W J from the UK

We have been to all three of the Grands,if you are looking for the Wow factor,it has to be Mexico,the friendliest it is Jamaica,we had a great time in The Dom Rep and the Grand was great but the language problems would put us off returning,i have an eating disorder and cannot eat spicy types of food,it was very difficult to get what i wanted.In Jamaica i was given a personal chef who specifically cooked my food and he was a great guy,we are returning for our third visit

calgary, alberta
Level Contributor
253 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

As I mentioned earlier, the service and food at the Iberostar Grand in Jamaica was the best we have ever had!....and we have been to 15 resorts (two in Jamaica, one in Punta Cana and 12 in Mexico)..... We also have been to a Couples resort in Negril and yes their beach is one of the nicest in the caribbean, but the beach is also very pretty at the Iberostar Grand Rose Hall, very swimmable and still long enough for a pleasant stroll... Botton line is if the beach is the most important, than Punta Cana. If the service and food and pools are more important, then Jamaica wins.... The reviews speak for themselves...Plus I have to admit, having the staff speak English was a bonus.

America, The...
Level Contributor
7,659 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

Wessie,

We had no issues with language barrier in PC and I speak very little Spanish, though am willing to try. Staff was lovely. Jamaica, of course, wins for a potable water supply over PC. I have heard it frequently said that the Grand in Mexico is a step up from PC, but it is pricier too. I am an admitted beach snob, and would choose Negril over MoBay. I have stayed elsewhere in MoBay and also in Ochi on prior trips to Jamaica, but now it's only Negril for me. Bavaro Beach is long and walkable. The beach set up at the Grand there is lovely, with well-spaced palapas and excellent beach service. We had a really good stay. I still think I would do IBG in PC or Mexico but that you can do better in Jamaica. I'm sure it would be a perfectly lovely stay, though! IBG is a great hotel!

canada
Level Contributor
686 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

Reviewer, read their post. They don't want to go to Negril. They want to go to the IGRH or the IGPC. So, in Montego bay, I don't think that they could get much better than the IGRH. So, personally, I think that both resorts would be close in quality, and if the language barrier is important to the poster, then the IGRH would certainly win out! By the way, don't you think that the beach at IGRH is beautiful!

8. Re: Iberostar Grand Jamaica, or Iberostar Grand Punta Cana?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 am, February 13, 2015