We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single traveller

yorkshire
Level Contributor
29 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Single traveller

Hello

I am looking at going to Jamaica for the first time and wondered if it is suitable for a middle aged widow travelling alone. I have been eo Egypt, Cuba, Mexico etc by myself but just checking if its ok to go here. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
1,579 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single traveller

I am your age and I travel alone. I am not a widow as yourself --but my husband no longer wishes to travel.

Jamaica is a great place to go alone...but it is different than any other location you've been.

As a single you will be loved and protected by some , maybe hounded by others in certain situations ---so where you stay and whom you associate with is all what makes for the level of contentment of your trip.

Be sure to have a competent driver for your excursions. I would suggest Alrick Allen -Your Jamaican Tour Guide or Joe Cool. Both of these mens' drivers services will be sure that no one bothers you on your excursions and will take you in safety to anywhere you want to go !

I mention them --because I personally used them and know of what I speak...but there are others. I would NOT get in any local cab with unknown drivers and especially in the evenings. Everything may be alright if you did...but I DON'T !!!!!

At the Rose Hall area---and each different area of Jamaica --you may very well have to get certain drivers for that portion of your trip.......Rose Hall visitors --may not be the most adventurous of all as far as venturing around the island.

I see you posted in the Rose Hall Forum......and of course I am sure you see that's North above Negril ! Negril is the COOL HOT SPOT --but there are many , many other places to choose from in Jamaica.......but you'd need to decide what your budget was and if you really just want to hang at the beach at ROSE HALL or if you want to see more of the island of Jamaica on your visit.

I can help you with other locations that are known to be SAFE for singles in other parts of Jamaica.....The Blue Mountains and Treasure Island locations I have suggested for many people and they have had a great and SAFE time.

If you have really deep pockets you may want to look at Strawberry Hill --which is on the Eastern more side of Jamacia !

You've seen the rest --now see Jamaica and its blue waters and mountains !!

Edited: 3:39 pm, June 27, 2013
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
828 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single traveller

Yes, traveling in Jamaica as a solo female is safe. I have used Barrett Adventures for tours while vacationing in Montego Bay. And, I have used route taxis to get around inexpensively. Like WANTOTRAV mentions you can also hire a private driver to take you around. If you are staying in an all inclusive resort you will enjoy a nice, relaxing stay no matter where you go in Jamaica. But if you are looking to see quiet areas outside the tourist locales Treasure Beach, Bluefields Bay, and Port Antonio are gorgeous.

3. Re: Single traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:05 am, September 02, 2013
Malvern, Jamaica
Level Contributor
324 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Single traveller

I haved travelled many times to Jamaica as a single

I do prefer the laid back vibe of treasure beach on the south coast over the hussle of Negril, Montego Bay or Ochi

you have been given some sound advice which is worth consideration

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Single traveller

Chugani...it is interesting that you come on Tripadvisor and level such a charge with only two posts to your credit. I don't know Alrick Allen, but I see that he has been recommended by many travelers. This type of thing really bothers me, since I find it very mean-spirited and hurtful to another person.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147311-d2…

Houston Tx
Level Contributor
40 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single traveller

I have gone by myself before too , i just made sure by nightfall i was back on resort property ,

But i felt safe , just use good judgement

7. Re: Single traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 19, 2014