We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rose hall grand or a sandals property?

nj
Level Contributor
133 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Rose hall grand or a sandals property?

This is a question for any one that has stayed at both properties. I stayed at a sandals for 6 nights for 4500 with air. Grand is better priced for 7 nights. I gave sandals a 6 out of 10. Pools were nice, food was mediocre and service was a 4/10 This was in Bahamas. How would you compare both properties? Never stayed in Jamaica before. Beach and water clarity is important to me. Stayed in Turks and Caicos 4x. I'm spoiled by their beaches. Just too darn expensive to stay. Any advise would be helpful.

Mentioned in this post
Bahamas
Bahamas
Caribbean
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,740 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Rose hall grand or a sandals property?

I understand wanting to remain with Sandals if possible due to the SSG rewards. We are qualified for our 2nd free week and as well, we have approx $1800 in Sandals points to redeem. Hard to find a better deal than that!

But having said that, you are doing the right thing in researching, both in comparing different Sandals resorts and other chains. I would still steer you toward Sandals Whitehouse, though what ticks the boxes for us might not be the same for you.

Restaurants do not require reservations...butlers can and do make them for their guests, and concierge has 5 sitting times per evening at each restaurant. We prefer to just dine when we feel like it and not be confined to a time. We've maybe twice ever had to wait for a table for a party of 4, and it was no longer than 15-20 minutes.

The beach is beautiful....2 miles long...free of other resort guests and beach vendors. I am only a beach wader and walker so can't comment on water quality...I'll leave that to those who actually snorkel and dive!

All rooms are oceanfront...keep in mind not to confuse this with ocean-view...some rooms will have obstructed views due to mature foliage and lay of the land.

The pools are wonderful...each with their own personality. Two have swim-up bars and one has a pool-side bar. There is drink service on both the beach and at the pools. This is not red flag service but rather just frequent order-taking.

We love the food at SWH...but food is subjective and what we like like might not be to other's taste. There is a wonderful Jerk Pit on the beach where my hubby claims he has had the best jerk chicken and pork ever.

Staff is also amazing...the tendency is more to find out what they CAN do for you than say they can't. That has been our experience.

Realize two things though in case this is an issue...SWH is 90 mins from the airport (Negril is roughly 1hr, 15min) and the resort is remote...meaning no walking off the resort to shop or dine. Any outside activities will mean hiring a driver or doing an excursion. There are many interesting things to see on the southcoast...YS Falls, Black River, Floyd's Pelican Bar, Appleton Rum Factory to name a few.

As mentioned by posters above...Negril is more famous for it's beautiful beaches. I've not been to Couples Swept Away, but have stayed at Sandals Negril and toured Couples Negril. I don't think you can go wrong with either brand. Our preference simply lies toward Sandals.

Mentioned in this post
Couples Negril
Couples Negril
4,499 Reviews
Jamaica
Couples Swept Away
Couples Swept Away
5,638 Reviews
Jamaica
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,489 Reviews
Jamaica
Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Sandals Negril Beach...
5,743 Reviews
Jamaica
Black River
Black River
358 Reviews
Jamaica
YS Falls
YS Falls
1,740 Reviews
Jamaica
Floyd's Pelican Bar
Floyd's Pelican Bar
599 Reviews
Jamaica
Negril
Negril
Jamaica
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,268 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Rose hall grand or a sandals property?

Why Sandals Whitehouse is our favorite: we love the remoteness and privacy (a big plus for us), the resort is well laid out and roomy, never a crowded feeling (even at full capacity), a beautiful two mile long beach with ample lounge chairs/umbrellas (and NO beach vendors), the best leadership team, free bus transportation from MBJ to SWH (like a free tour of the real Jamaica), countless places for privacy all around the resort, a great new beachside Jerk Shack, an awesome Return Guest Program (with a points system for each stay that can equal hundreds of dollars in discounts on your very next Sandals trip), a free week at a Sandals of your choice with after 70 paid nights, great Concierge Program, a great staff (all Jamaican) with a sincere desire to serve, we have always found warm/calm weather, the three swimming pools with swim-up bars (and each with its own personality, party time or quiet time), great new pool and beach bar service, plenty of lounge chairs at all pools, many great restaurant choices (with inside and outside dining options at all, six choices), the Martini Bar, the French Pastry Shop, all rooms have an oceanview, the grounds are wonderfully maintained and quite immaculate, there are always plenty of daily activities, great bartenders at the swim-up bars, there always seems to be a great age mix of guests, Neptune’s for seafood, Bluefield’s for a great and very casual lunch (jerk chicken on the menu), Eleanor’s for a bit more formal dining, tons of great outdoor seating at each of the restaurants, lots of fun water activities (kayaking, snorkeling, stand-up boards, sailing, water skiing, glass bottom boat rides, scuba, tubing, sail boards), brand new fitness center and sports courts, super SPA (Red Lane), room categories/prices to fit everyone’s budget, outstanding butler rooms for those very special occasions, very good WIFI access, great sunsets, good excursions available thru Island Routes on site, very nice hot tubs around the property, top shelf alcoholic beverages, the Monday Night Beach Party, the Return Guest Dinner, the new Beachwalk, fantastic new Fire Pits, tons of new outdoor seating in the courtyard, wonderful new permanent thatch beach umbrellas, no tipping allowed, great evening entertainment every night, OK so I'm getting carried away here. We do love the WH for many good reasons; mostly, it is “a classy resort without being stuffy.”

Mentioned in this post
Sandals South Coast
Sandals South Coast
7,489 Reviews
Jamaica
Jamaica
Jamaica
Caribbean
13. Re: Rose hall grand or a sandals property?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 19, 2014