We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bringing Rum back into the states

East Freedom
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Bringing Rum back into the states

I will be leaving in about a week for Jamaica and I am wondering where the best place to buy rum is. Also, if we buy at the airport does it need to go in checked baggage? And if we buy before we get to the airport, whats the best way to get it home? I don't want bottles breaking in my suitcase!!!

Cypress, Texas
Level Contributor
382 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bringing Rum back into the states

If you buy it at the airport, it can go in your carry on. All the stores are after the security checks. If you buy it before, it will need to go in your checked bags. I have taken some bubble wrap before to wrap them up in my suitcase. Then I still wrap it with a pair of pants or towel or something. I normally wait until the airport to buy rum or coffee. Their prices to me, some will argue, are as good or better than out in town. Remember though, once you get back to your country, you will need to transfer your rum out of your carry on into a suitcase. If you buy at the airport. Unless you are lucky enough to have a direct flight.Have a great time in Jamaica!!!!

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bringing Rum back into the states

Just to be clear, if you buy at the airport, you can have them securely pack it in a carboard carrier, it does not have to go in your carryon bag. If you have a connection, it then has to be checked inside your bag for your next flights.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bringing Rum back into the states

I usually wait till I get to the airport before buying some Appleton's rum. That way, the weight doesn't get included with my checked luggage. The only downside to this approach is that even though I can take it aboard the departing aircraft as hand luggage, I always need a connecting flight in the US to get back home, so I have to pop the bottles into my checked luggage after I clear US customs. As was pointed out in a previous note, the duty free stores do a pretty decent job of packing the bottles into cardboard for such an event.

As Jamaica is classed as a basin country, so long as the product was made in one of those basin countries, you are allowed 2L of duty free per person. My wife and I usually bring back 3 bottles of VX and one bottle of Reserve between us.

4. Re: Bringing Rum back into the states

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 21, 2013