We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

blowholes

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
blowholes

Do they shoot upward the most during the highest tides? Could you direct me to a site that would show the times of the high and low tides in that area in November? Thanks

8 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,833 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: blowholes

Yes, they only blow at high tide AND when there is a strong sea. This might help although I'm not sure which is the nearest recording point. I tried Hokitika:

niwa.co.nz/services/…tide-forecaster

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: blowholes

Yes. Still lovely to see the pancake rocks, but the blownholes only work in high tides and rough seas. They arent as dramatic as samoa blowholes. But the coastline, pancake rocks and forest at Punakaiki is stunning.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,884 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: blowholes

Westport is the standard port for all the west Coast tides right down to Jackson bay.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: blowholes

It looks as though we can do a couple of other things on our list and still get there within an hour of high

tide. And the niwa site will come in handy for some other things. Thank yo'all.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
677 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: blowholes

Also, Metservice:

metservice.com/marine-surf/tides/westport

Maleny, Australia
Level Contributor
1,051 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: blowholes

This site also gives daily tidal information. www.tides4fishing.com/nz/west-coast/westport

It just so happens that there will be a midday high when I am there in September, now we can just hope for a wild westerly blowing.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
325 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: blowholes

thank you for the update. Hope they put on quite a show for youi!

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,007 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: blowholes

Something's are best seen in really foul weather. The blow holes are in this category. However don't be too depressed if you are there on a nice day. It is still a great visit.

However at high tide with a strong westerly it is truly spectacular. The chances of a good blow are high, Cape Foulwind is just up the road :0

Reply to: blowholes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Punakaiki