We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to plan a weekend trip to Khorfakkan

Abu Dhabi
1 post
Save Topic
How to plan a weekend trip to Khorfakkan

Hi we are planning to drive down to Khorfakkan from Abu Dhabi. we'd be having a couple of 4 yr olds with us too. how should we go about planning the same. what are the places to visit, at which times of the day? What are the overnite options? can we camp? is there a proper caming facility like the one at Jebel Hafeet? which are the good eateries especially Indian types? Would be thankful for any suggestions on the above.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to plan a weekend trip to Khorfakkan

There are not many places to stop on the way to Khorfakkan. I suggest you go a little out of your way and take a break at Hatta Fort Hotel (if not for lunch then for a mid-morning or afternnon break) to let you all stretch your legs. It's a nice stop when going from Abu Dhabi. You can also stop at the roadside markets after you pass through Dhaid (my preference to stopping in Dhaid) if going visa Fujairah. If you go that way come back the other route via Masafi or the new road (sorry I can't remember the road name/number but it is easy to find it when coming back as it is signposted Dubai).

The only camping I am aware of is free camping which used to be very popular on the Khorfakkan-Dibba road but more hotels mean it is not so easy to do this.

You could stay in Khorfakkan itself. I've stayed a few times at the Oceanic Hotel. It is less luxurious than the 5* Miramar and Le Meridien at Al Aqah beach, but has everything you could need. You could also stay in Fujairah (I stayed in the Hilton there once but didn't like it - Oceanic is better and cheaper).

You might consider The Sandy Beach Hotel. It's a popular weekend retreat with a number of different accommodation options (please read recent reviews as I don't have personal experience of it).

There's no shortage of Indian restaurants in the towns in that area (Fujairah, Khorfakkan and Dibba). I don't recall seeing any Indian restaurants in any of the hotels in that area but I may be wrong.

With a couple of short stops allow 5 hours to drive from Abu Dhabi to Khorfakkan. It's worth the trip to see the mountains and dip your toes in the Indian Ocean.

I hope you have a good trip.

2. Re: How to plan a weekend trip to Khorfakkan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 20, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Khorfakkan