We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

I've been along this road before but only have a vague memory of it - which I'm hoping is wrong!

I'd like to hire a bike in Georgetown and cycle to Batu Ferringhi/Tanjong Bungah to go kayaking. Can anybody tell me what the road is like in terms of traffic volume and safety for a cyclist?

Also, is the route hilly? I seem to remember it did go up and down a fair bit and I'm not at all used to riding on hills so may have to reconsider if my memory is correct.

Any insight gratefully received!

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

The road is not that hard to ride a bike or bicylce. However, the road is narrow and a few sharp curves. Don't think you will have an issue on that.

Getting a kayak might be more challenging though.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

Thank you, karloon.

There's a water sports centre in Tanjung Bungah and that's where I plan to hire a kayak.

Edited: 12:12 am, April 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

I've seen plenty of bikers at Batu Ferringhi. But those are experienced ones in their full racer attires. They're minor hills and sharp turns to negotiate. The real hilly part is towards the Balik Pulau but you won't need to go there. You probably need to look out for yourself and other vehicles when biking. Size rules on the roads in Malaysia.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

Welcome,

When I'm refering to bike. I meant normal regular bike not 200 CC above. Driving those bike definitely won't be an issue to ride to Batu Ferringhi. Its all rely on our skill.

I don't have any issue to ride a scooter from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi, even a round island tour (which I did it a couple years back).

Kayaking in Batu Ferringhi is something I rarely seen. As most tourist prefer water scooter.

Edited: 12:44 am, April 28, 2014
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,517 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

I think the OP meant a bicycle, right?

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
899 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

He did meant cycle to Batu Ferringhi. Lately, a lot of locals cycle around Penang island for fun. Honestly, I don't think is safe to cycle around Penang island. The road are not meant for cyclist.

In Georgetown, is still ok as there's it been gazetted as cyclist friendly location (thanks to Ernest Zacharevic's art). Cylce from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi is a bad idea (I believe, cycling around Batu Ferringhi is ok)

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
10,143 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

The main problem you are likely to find is cars coming towards you, on a bend, on the wrong side of the road giving you nowhere to escape to. Going up to BF from Tanjung Bungah you will have a gutter and steep rock wall on your left, and coming back you will have a crash barrier on your left. There is nowhere for you to go if you get squeezed on the road and cycling on those stretches would terrify me! It's bad enough being in a car sometimes as vehicles try to overtake on blind corners. You may feel a lot safer in the bus.

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, I did mean bicycle.

PaperStoneScissors, that's the sort of situation I was worried might be the case. I was very much looking forward to cycling on Penang but it sounds like I would be safer limiting myself to tootling around Georgetown.

Perth, WA
Level Contributor
446 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

If you do decide to bike hike make sure travel insurance will cover you! I personally would never do it there. .too many bends and crazy drivers!! Would hate to see someone get hurt. Enjoy your kayaking sounds nice

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,137 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's the road like from Georgetown to Batu Ferringhi?

Thank you Perth_WAAsh!

Get answers to your questions about Penang Island