We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beer at hawker stalls?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
177 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Beer at hawker stalls?

Hi is there any beer available at the hawker stalls?? I am staying at Traders so knowing about around there would be great. Are there actual bars around?(Husband won't be able to cope without a beer to wash down all this yummy food I plan on eating!) thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,742 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

in Georgetown at the Red Garden Hawkers ..you can definitely get a cold one

Newcastle
Level Contributor
37 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

Hi,

I think it depends upon which Hawker stalls you go to. Ones which are popular with tourists like Long Beach and Red Garden will have beer, but I have made the faux par of asking for a beer at a strictly Muslim stall, much to the server's horror. Just be aware that some will not sell beer. If you look closely, you can definitely tell by the clientele!. Happy eating (and drinking).

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

Go to Jalan Alor or Petaling Street for dinner - plenty of local food, hawker stalls, and lots of "big Tigers" (or Heineken, Anchor... etc etc. Quite cheap. Ask for an ice bucket. Both areas are packed with tourists, but that doesn't stop them from serving good food and being a great experience.

From Traders you probably want a taxi to both of those locations, or LRT/MRT if you know how the network works.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

You will get free beer, wine, spirits etc, if you stay in a Club room at Traders during their happy hours 1800 - 2000hrs.

Gaja

Petaling Jaya...
Level Contributor
2,166 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

In the malls, there is usually a supermarket and a foodcourt.

The malls foodcourts usually don't sell beer, but you can purchase them in the supermarkets first and take them to their foodcourt to drink if you order food there.

Other than the malls, there are privately run foodcourts (eg. Red Garden, Long Beach) , where beer is available to customers.

When you get out of Traders, on the left is First Avenue mall. Take the escalator/lift to 4th floor to Aeon Big supermarket (ex Carrefour) where you can purchase sundries, wine and beer.

1st-avenue-mall.com.my/store-guide/directory…

If you turn right from Traders , 2 mins walk is Gama department Store where on the groundfloor, there is a supermarket and beer is available.

You cannot drink beer in Muslim run eateries (eg. Hameediah in Campbell Street, Kapitan in Chulia street). Ask first before opening your can of beer.

Edited: 4:20 am, August 11, 2013
perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

At the Red Garden it is irrespective if you order food from a muslim stall

or not.There are reprrsentatives of the various breweries who will hunt

you down.

Be aware that if you buy extra beer,these people will come along and

open them whether you're ready or not.

Happy trails

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

Mini market are selling beer. Plenty of 7-11 minimarket around. Nasi kandar (muslim) stall don't allow beer/serve beer. Restaurant and hawker center you won't have any issue.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
177 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

Thanks everyone!

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
451 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

The best is to look around the place first. If there are no beer bottles on tables, then that is definitely not a good place to rip one open.

I have never ever seen anyone drinking at a foodcourt in a mall, so personally I would not drink there.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
868 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beer at hawker stalls?

Selling beer/alcohol require permit in Malaysia. Thus, Food Court in Mall usually don't apply the permit and thus you are unable to purchase the beer also.