We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rapid Penang

Johor Bahru...
Level Contributor
269 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Rapid Penang

Just back from Penang, noticed that the service of Rapid Penang is no longer that Great!

I used to think that Rapid Penang provide the Best service, if compare to other state in Malaysia.

But my experience from this trip:

1. From Komtar to airport, I wait for about 1 hr. Bus 401E

2. From Gurney Plaza to Evergreen Hotel also wait for 1hr and I decided to take taxi! Bus 103

3. From Evergreen to Komtar also almost 1 hr. so taxi again ! Bus 103.

I remember my previous trip, few months ago, I don't think that I have to wait for such so long!

Edited: 7:16 pm, January 25, 2013
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rapid Penang

Have to agree with yoy hualien ..we just back from Penang and for a number of years a fan of Rapid Penang ..but this last trip on more than one occassion had us waiting for the 101 outside the Rainbow Paradise for just on 40 minutes ..for a bus that is due to pass by every 10 minutes...made a complaint to Rapid Penang ..and the reply was ...sorry will investigate..as you can guess ..got no further reply

George Town...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rapid Penang

Frequent Rapid passengers like me are suffering everyday. I have been late to college on many occasions because of the buses. And my lecturer doesn't even accept my truthful excuse.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
115 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rapid Penang

Unfortunately, I think that Rapid Penang services have dropped in frequency as well. When we first moved to Penang a year and a half ago, the wait time was no longer than 20 minutes.

We tried to ride around with buses recently and also experienced the 1 hour wait. I think the traffic has also increased, making movement tougher for the buses especially through intersections--they seem to get stuck more often.

Sussex
Level Contributor
4 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rapid Penang

We have stayed in Batu Ferringhi 4 times in 3 years and this stay - still here at the moment - we have noticed the bus service has declined drastically. We waited at the Komtar for a bus to Penang Hill for nearly two hours - it never arrived - and on many occasions have been waiting at a stop only for the bus to go sailing past. And the drivers are so rude and surly!

Have emailed a complaint to Rapidpenang but not expecting a reply.....

perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rapid Penang

Another part of the problem are the conductors.They check every

ticket and then count every cent the driver collected.This is time consuming.

What REALLY scares me though is when the busses aqre being re-fuelled.

The passengers are kept on board the bus,and cop this,the doors ae locked.

Apparently the company does not have a clue what happens when diesoline

hits a hot engine.

Happy trails

G'day roostown,good to see you didn't have to tread water in the latest floods.Pass on my regards to your better half.

London uk
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Rapid Penang

Rapid Penang must be one of the worst organisations in the world. The whole lot needs a good shake up. Drivers lazy and aggressive, management completely useless.

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
882 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rapid Penang

Dear Foxhound,

It's been a comment practice for buses/Lorry/Tractor (which use diesel) to fill their pump with the engine on. Same goes with express bus etc as it is relative safe to fill diesel with engine on. It won't burn (i think mythbuster has prove that gasoline/diesel car wont explode...only in movie) unlike gasoline which is highly flamable. You can refer to below link for simple test:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ma9w1P6sKj8

Regarding Rapid Bus.

Yeah. It is getting worst now and our federal government are "sort of" making it worst. The state government already offer Rapid Bus for free shuttle to tourist but federal government reject it as it will hamper their effort to gain back from the opposition party.

The situation will get better if the federal government honor their commitment to provide 200 new bus to Penang state as promised. You can refer to below news link:

themalaymailonline.com/malaysia/article/pena…

Edited: 9:47 pm, November 18, 2013
perth
Level Contributor
394 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rapid Penang

There is absolutely NO way that I am going to debunk mythbusters.

But,and there is always a but,if I came across a dog that was wagging

its tail,and at the same time was baring its teeth,I know which end I

would believe.

Happy trails

9. Re: Rapid Penang

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, November 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Penang Island