We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
Ferry Penang-Langkawi

We're planning this trip in October and I was wondering if anyone has any info on the ferry/journey?

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,829 posts
386 reviews
1. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

HI

ferry is run by Langkawi ferry, it takes about 3 hours. The 2 daily ferries leave Penang at 8.15am and 8.30am each morning. The 8.30 one goes via Palau Payar to drop off the day trippers so takes a bit longer. The ferries are basic and there is no cafe on board. Cost is about 55myr per adult.

Check out their website http://www.langkawi-ferry.com/

Tickets can be bought a couple of days before you travel from their ticket office in Georgetown.

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

We just took the ferry from Penang to Langkawi and we would not recommend it to anyone unless you have a stomach of steel! My husband who doesnt get motion sickness felt queazy the whole 3.5 hours (they make one top before reaching Langkawi). The ferry is very old and dirty and there were cockroaches walking around freely. I get motion sickness and prepared myself by taking pills beforehand but I STILL threw up twice. Awful experience!

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,829 posts
386 reviews
3. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Hi

I suffer terribly from motion sickness and never had a problem on the ferry. They are basic functional ferries, no creature comforts.

As you are crossing open sea you should expect it to be choppy, and you are in the tropics, plus the cleanliness will not be up to some ferries in Europe. It is no where near as awful as the Tangiers/Gibralter ferry and no better or worse than others in the SE Asia area!!!

The first ferry to leave Penang 0815am is direct to Langkawi and does not stop, the 0830 ferry stops at Palau Payar to drop off the day trippers. The same is true on the reverse, the 230pm stops via Palau Payar, and the 530pm is direct.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
4. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Erik,

Your from Norway, I'm a Scot. These ferry boats are fine, can be choppy some days, but not often.

I did this trip once a month for an entire year, I always sat out on the deck above the main cabin, choppy or not.

I loved it. Don't understand the complaints from NY. Its the Mallacca Straits, not the South Atlantic, go enjoy, have fun.

If you have a nice sunny day its like being on a lake, even if its choppy (best) you will not be gripping the arm rests.

My biggest problem was the aircon was to cold !

What can I say.

langkawi
Level Contributor
210 posts
5. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Hi Erik

Tygerlily is right.

These ferry trips can be a complete nightmare.

DO NOT tkat the 8:15. This is a terrible ferry.

It's nicknamed 'M.V. Motionsickness' as it is way to skinny for this seas.

Thats why they upgraded the aircon until you can barely throw-up, because your stomage content is already frozen solid.

You can't escape to the outside (rooftop) in this ferry. The crew doesn't allow you and there are no seats available on the roof.

The seats inside are 'asiansize', you better be small to fit in there.

The worst thing is the on-board-entertainment.

It's like 'Bloodshed-production' proudly presents:

- the chainsaw- massaker or

- Cannibal Feeding Fenzy part 12

Emergency exits are a cruel joke. Once this ferry starts to roll over it's good by ...

It is locally buildt.

Do yourself a favour and take the 8:30 ferry from the Langkawi Coral Company. This one is buildt in Australia and truely enjoyable, complete with adultsized seats.

It stopps at Pulau Payar for 20 minutes, but many times we were able to catch the 8:15 just before Langkawi.

Guess their throttle lever froze !!!

Have a nice trip !

langkawi
Level Contributor
210 posts
6. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Sorry Erik - bad news:

Checked the ferries today myself and found both , the 8:15 and the 8:30h are now of the cheap sort.

Don't know what they have done to the quality ferry.

Maybe you should consider the plane ....

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

We are going from Langkawi to Penang in October too.

The ferry sounds good, but I have to say, 2:45 on a boat sounds like a lot o missed shopping time to us :-) so we are going to fly there on FireFlyz I think it is. Only a 1/2hr flight or there abouts...obvuouslt a bit longer if the plane crashes into the sea..hehehe

We are going to stay overnight so we can have a good look around....well after shopping :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
8. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Willy,

Your killing me ! lol. The boats are not that bad.

You cannot be from Langkawi ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
9. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

Jeremy,

You are not going to save much time flying, the boat arrives in Georgetown, the airport is on the south east of the island.

You might save 30mins for your shopping, hope you know exactly what you want.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
10. Re: Ferry Penang-Langkawi

The deal at the hotel we are staying at comes with complementary airport transfers, although we didn't know that till after booking flights.

I don't know "exactly" what I want to buy, but I have a fair idea what I am on the look out for :-)

Jeremy