We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
33 reviews
Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hello again,

Eveyone has been very helpful and I am so appreciative of all the great advice; I'm just trying to make a final decision on accomm. in Penang between the Holiday Inn and the Bayview Beach..

The BBR looks nicer but looks like quite a walk to the markets etc..so to me, the Holiday Inn looks like a better location what I'd love to hear what others think who have been there, done that..

Thanks in advance,

Kitty, her husband and 3 kids aged 13, 6 and 4

PS.. Does anyone know if the kids clubs have a charge and which kids club is better as I'll probably use it a few times, my boys aren't shoppers!!

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Its difficult ot decide however Holiday inn as u know is nearer almost at the centre of the shopping area of Batu Ferringhi. n the eating stalls.But in terms of the hptel facade n beach ,swimming pool,landscaping Bayview is nicer.Both have equally good kids club.Since u have 3 kids along at tender age i will suggest Holiday Inn as u nee not have to walk that much n also to find food aoutside the hotel is easy.I think its quite impossible for u to walk with the kids from Bayview to where the actions r.n its a waste to get a cab each time go out.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,875 posts
386 reviews
2. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hi

I found the walk to the Bayview just too much once or twice a day, and I am sure that your kids will too.

This link will show you how far

wikimapia.org/…2

So if I only had the Bayview or Holiday Inn to choose from it would have to be the Holiday Inn.

My personal favorite 4*'s would be the Park Royal or Golden Sands.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
33 reviews
3. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hi again,

Thanks to both of you for your very informative posts; I'll forget the BBR then as my kids moan if they have to walk 50 metres!!

With Golden Sands and the Park Royal; both may be in our range (I've decided to hang the expense...) but does anyone know how much things are IN the actual hotels; like I read somewhere that a small beer in the Park Royal is RM40.. so for basic soft drinks, snacks, babysitting rates, kids club etc... does anyone know the price of these things in the hotels.

If say, a coke in the Golden Sands is RM6 and the same coke in the Park Royal is RM10, then I think I better pick Golden Sands...

Anyone know on site costs at any of these hotels??

Many thanks again,

Kitty

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hi Kitty

We stayed at the Bayview in January and absolutely loved it. I agree about the walk and we didn't walk it very often!! but taxis are just so cheap, even from the hotel it was only 6MR to go to the start of the night markets. We would have dinner somewhere, wander back through the markets slowly and when we had enough catch a cab back to the Bayview. We invariably needed two taxis (there were five of us, our three kids are aged 13, 17 and 19) but the total cost for 2 cabs both ways was only about $8 AUD. The difference in price between the Bayview and Golden Sands or Park Royal was a lot more than that.

We also found the Bayview incredibly cheap by our standards for food and drink in the hotel. A top of the range cocktail in the swim up bar was only 20MR (about $6-$7 AUD), and from about 3.30pm to 7.30pm it was happy hour with 30% discount. We were planning to buy our drinks and snacks away from the hotel, but it was cheap enough that we didn't have to bother.

Food there was also fairly well priced. One evening our kids wanted to stay home and have rooms service while we ate out alone (what a wonderful night!!), they ordered their own meals, with a drink each, (a cocktail for the eldests) and two desserts and the price was under $50 AUD for all of them.

The Bayview also looked a lot nicer than the Holiday Inn, particularly the pool area. We liked the Golden Sands and had drinks there a few times, but it was a lot dearer. We also met people staying there and at Park Royal and both commented that the rooms were tiny, whereas at Bayview they were huge. We also had a wonderful view of the beach from our rooms, and they were only side seaview, not the top of the range full seaview.

Good luck with your decision, please ask if you want any more information.

Deb

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Thanks so much for your post Deb....

After reading it, I'm now swaying back to the BBR... I've got a travel agent looking at prices for me now and she's comparing the Holiay Inn and the BBR so we'll see what she comes back with.

Thanks again,

Kim

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
6. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hi of course BBR n ParkRoyal has a much nicer interior n the rooms r probably bigger in BBR.Like it was commented earlier if u dont mind getting a cab whenever u need to go out then its alrite cos nearby BBR there s no restaurants or any shops whatsoever.If u want just walk out n there r shops n many restaurants around then u may choose Golden Sands, Casuarina Hotel which is a lot cheaper.Probably dont take meals in the hotels most r much more costly.Outside along the road near Golden Sands or Casuarina there r ample restaurants till late.also there s the open night marketfor cheap goods.So u have a headache choosing eh!!!!when u have so many choices.but i need to remind u that BBR has everything good except u need to take a cab whenever u venture out as there s absolutely no shops or restaurants around for at least 2 to 3 kilometers.once again happy choosing!!!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
205 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Thanks Benny,..

Yes.. it's a headache alright...lol...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3,168 posts
93 reviews
8. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hi Kitty

Just commenting on Benny's last post - the Casuarina is closed and is being rebuilt into a new hotel so he has obviously not been to Batu Ferringhi recently. There were restaurants and shops within a very easy walking distance of the Bayview, but I must admit the ones we tended to eat at - the Long Beach hawker stalls, Marios and Jewel of the North were at the other end of the strip closer to the Golden Sands, but as I previously mentioned the cabs are so cheap by Aus standards that it is not an issue.

You might like to browse another forum wwww.penangtravelforum.com which is only about Penang. It has lots of reviews and comments on restaurants and hotels on Penang.

I don't want to talk you into staying anywhere, but it bothers me when someone is posting that is obviously not up to date with the current situation.

I think you will have a great time wherever you stay. I have to admit if I went back I would stay at the Rasa Sayang, it looked superb, but I could never afford it unless we left the kids at home....!

Deb

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5,716 posts
47 reviews
9. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Oh i was not aware that the Casuarina was closed for renovation.I was at Batu Ferringhi 6 mths back ,then the BBR was fully booked n i finally stayed at the Rasa Sayang which was refurbished new with a new lbeautifully landscaped compound.BBR is great except for the distance n mind u ,forget about walking in this penang heat ok. with yr children.Also its not so safe to walk at that stretch if later in the evening ok.Well u can still consider Golden sands,Holiday Inn,Rasa Sayang which is more expensive,Lone Pine Hotel(much cheaper but its only 3 star),n finally BBR.Im not sure if Casuarina is closed ,well maybeit is cos i was not there for past 6 mths.Cheers!!!

Perth ,Australia
Level Contributor
229 posts
33 reviews
10. Re: Holiday Inn or Bayview Beach Resort ??

Hi Kitty,

I just thought that I'd throw my hat into the ring!! We are staying at the Parkroyal in a couple of weeks, and have stayed there before. They also have a brilliant childrens club, but unfortunately when we went it was 9 years ago, so I couldnt honestly comment on it today.

It might be worth emailing the hotels and ask for prices and see who replies! If you check all the forums, including Virtual Tourist, as well as the one Deb mentioned, The Penang Travel Forum, hopefully there will be enough info for you to make a decision!

Good luck with it all. :)

Cheers,

PomPerth.