We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Plymouth UK
11 posts
Save Topic
Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Hi

Please could someone recommend a hotel in Penang which is good for couples, but is near to the nightlife (mainly the restaurants and stalls).

We are planning a trip in June 2008 and would like to spend the day near the pool relaxing, but wandering around at night and eating out. Most of the reviews I see say they are great family resorts, which immediately makes me think of loads of children and being swamped in the pools, which I would like to try and avoid. I'm not grumpy, just am getting a break from the kids at home and would like SOME peace and quiet :)

Yours views would be greatly received.

Thank you

Plymouth UK
11 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Just to add that I had sort of decided on a seaview at the Golden Sands Resort, but was put off from the lots of children bit. Saying that if we are going in June would it be quieter as this is during term time????

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

The Golden Sands is a good choice, it does not get overun with kids. Kids have a small pool to themselves, if you keep away from it you won't even know they are there.

All nightlife is hotel based in Batu Ferringhi, the daily night market starts just outside GS. Loads of restuarants along the main road.

If you want something a little lively you will need to go in to Georgetown.

If you do opt for Batu avoid the Holiday Inn, the pool is very small and there is always lots of kids there.

If you want some real peace & quiet, consider Langkawi or Pangkor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,326 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Seaview at GS - Request higher level in the middle of the building.

Plymouth UK
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Thanks ever so much for that, we normally go to Thailand as we absolutely love it there and were a bit scared of booking something else. We tend to lounge all day by the pool but venture out a night to sit in the local bars and cafes and people watch.

We thought about the Casa Del Mar in langkawi but I was a bit worried that this would be too quiet. I then thought about the Park Royal and Golden Sands in Penang but thought that these could be too lively.

Still not 100% sure between the two places to be honest, but from what you have said about the Golden Sands having a Kiddies pool it has certainly helped.

Thank you

Penang, Malaysia
Level Contributor
909 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

FYI end of May, first week of June is the local school break. You can expect lots of people (incl kids) at both GS and Park Royal.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
556 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Shangri-la Rasa Sayang Resort.

shangri-la.com/en/…rasasayangresort

Plymouth UK
11 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Would be arriving in Penang or Langkawi about the 17th June. Would this still be the local school holidays???

Many Thanks

Penang
Destination Expert
for Penang Island
Level Contributor
853 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

Nope. you can consider E & O. In Georgetown, nightlife and shopping are near. No beach though but since you visit Langkawi too, that shouldn't be any problem.

Or stay a night at Penang hill.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,192 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

E & O has a good pool and it is quiet most of the time, nightlife nearby, and if you want more night life with the market,bf is only 30 ringet by taxi

dave

Manila
Level Contributor
55 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Hotel for a couple in Penang

You could try The Gurney Resort Hotel. It's located along the popular Gurney Drive where restaurants and hawker stalls are mainly located.

Get answers to your questions about Penang Island