We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to book flights?

Holt, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Best time to book flights?

Hi everyone, we are coming back to Penang from Australia in July 2019.

I’m wondering when the best time to book international flights is, to get the best prices?

After Penang we are going to Club Med Malaysia, and I’d like to lock that in, but am nervous to do so before we have flights.

Thanks all!

Cathy

6 replies to this topic
Southern...
Level Contributor
6,586 posts
68 reviews
1. Re: Best time to book flights?

I would book international flights asap. The further out the cheaper they will be.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,785 posts
209 reviews
2. Re: Best time to book flights?

That may depend on which airline you are flying with, and how often they have sales or special offers. Book too early and then find prices are lower in their sale and you won’t be happy! But July 2019 is a very long way off so it’s highly unlikely seats will be selling out any time soon.

You probably have a choice of airlines so do some dummy bookings with them all now and then look in a couple of months. If you see any special offers or really cheap fares then book. But my gut feeling is it’s far too early to be worrying now.

Holt, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
3. Re: Best time to book flights?

Thanks both, thats helpful. We’ve previously flown Air Asia and were happy with them. Prices are about $600-$650 return AUD, but I know they have sales from time to time.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
633 posts
56 reviews
4. Re: Best time to book flights?

According to my travel agent cheapest time is 11 months out when the fares are just released.

Then after that 6 months out.

Book on a Tuesday and choose to fly Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday.

I use Expedia for research and make sure I clear my browsing history prior to booking.

I have been doing this for a few years and got some really good deals.

Nelson Bay...
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
1,960 posts
73 reviews
5. Re: Best time to book flights?

Cathy, as you are from OZ I can give this information. I am in no way endorsing or recommending you buy this product, just giving you the info.

Flight Centre offers a form of insurance for $49 and if your booked flight has a price reduction, you will be given the difference. See https:/…captains-package

I personally book some time out when I see a price I am happy with. I try not to see if the price has dropped prior to flying. I also set up an alert with https://www.skyscanner.com.au/news/get-best-…

Gaja

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
593 posts
64 reviews
6. Re: Best time to book flights?

Hi there, look out for Air Asia mega sale, I've flown syd-pen pen-langkawi then langkawi - Sydney for $375 per person, with seat selections and a couple of checked luggage... July is school holidays in Sydney so add another $100-200 Max on top... I'd say any thing over $500 for July would be expensive

Reply to: Best time to book flights?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted