We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

My wife and I are staying in Georgetown for 4 nights in January 2019.

We would prefer a hotel or apartment with a balcony, that is also quite central.

We have ruled out staying out at Batu Ferringhi because prior to this we will be spending 9 days in beachfront hotel in Langkawi.

Our budget would be up to US$140 per night.

Could any of you good travelers please advise?

Thank you kindly

Rob

11 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

I do get irritated when people don't post in the local currency, expecting us to go away and do a calculation for them. Suggest you look at the hotels tab at the top of this page and browse through what is available for your budget. You can always come back and ask questions once you've narrowed down your choice. However for a balcony you may do better looking at Airbnb

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

Thank you PaperStoneScissors for your reply.

I'm sorry about posting the currency in US$ - it's not even my currency which is Australian dollars.

I just thought that many people reading this forum would be from all around the world and many may also not be familiar with the current exchange rate for MR.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
504 posts
109 reviews
3. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

There are plenty of high rise apartments with balconies along Gurney Drive that is available on Airbnb but I wouldn't consider them centrally located as they're around 3 kilometres from the historic centre of Georgetown. There are a couple of centrally located hotels around your price point - one is Hotel Penaga which is a converted 3 floor shophouse has rooms with private balcony and lap pool only a couple of hundred metres from Chulia Street. The other is the Deluxcious Heritage Hotel in a colonial style building inside the old part of Georgetown. Not every room in this hotel has a balcony but the Junior Suite rooms have a large balcony.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
4. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

Hi Randonneur,

Thanks very much for your advice.

I will check these out.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
6,196 posts
160 reviews
5. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

I'd seriously not worry too much about a balcony with the heat.

More important to me is to be in the heritage area, with a plunge pool. Your budget should be enough for:

Jawi Peranakan

Yeng Keng

Muntri Grove

Have a look at these as they are well located and provide accommodation wit character.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
338 reviews
6. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

Not what the OP is looking for though

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
209 reviews
7. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

@littlereddevilag - agree, but people often post recommendations based on where they’ve stayed before which don’t necessarily meet the question. They’re no doubt trying to be helpful, but I guess that unless people have stayed in dozens of different properties it’s a difficult question to answer.

@ Rob - may be above your budget but have a look and see what deals you can get for the Victory Annex wing at the E&O hotel as their rooms there have balconies looking out over the Straits of Malacca. At night you’ll be able to watch the cruise ships leaving, ferries coming in and out and fishing boats going out with their green lights on. Plus the sunsets are not too bad either. In the rest of George Town the hotels converted from shop houses won’t have balconies but may have a walk way around the top floor with chairs and tables outside the rooms. I know Muntri Mews has this. However it’s not particularly private and if you’re looking for a balcony to smoke on, smoking might be prohibited in common areas.

Edited: 9:37 pm, November 03, 2018
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
20 posts
20 reviews
8. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

Thanks again everybody.

Yes, the balcony requirement is for smoking, not for me, but for my wife.

She has a slight leg problem from a previous fracture, and prefers not to have to keep leaving the building too often to get outside, especially where there are stairs involved.

I am fortunate that I gave away that nasty habit many decades ago.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
83 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

I agree with having a place with a balcony...no matter how small it is we prefer to be able to sit outside. I know you've discounted Batu Ferringhi but the best hotel with a balcony that we've stayed at is the Lone Pine Hotel. A small spa/bath and a day bed were wonderful on the balcony there.

Have stayed at several;\l places in George Town but most didn't have a balcony. The E & O Hotel in the newer wing have balconies. Not all that big but very comfortable for 2 people. Plus you get excellent views. Another place worth considering is Muntri Mews. Beautiful old style hotel and the upstairs section has a shared walkway that also doubles as a balcony. Each room had a table and chairs outside.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
209 reviews
10. Re: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies

Another compromise would be the Rainbow Paradise Hotel in Tanjung Bungah. An Australian friend of mine, and a smoker, stays there as each room has a sea facing balcony to go out onto. The 101 bus stops outside the hotel for a 20-30 minute journey down to George Town. That hotel would be well inside your budget.

Reply to: Hotels or apartments in Georgetown with balconies
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted