We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

2 posts
Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Hi,

Travelling with my partner in early October for his 40th birthday.

I'd like to book a surprise table for two at a nice beachside restaurant serving good food and with good friendly (not stuffy) service.

Not looking for anything too fancy or formal but somewhere special that has the wow factor in terms of its views.

We're not fussy eaters at all and both love local food as well as seafood if that helps.

I've seen Uncle Zacks on the Beach in Batu Ferringhi and the 360 bar in Georgetown (like the look of the rooftop bar for drinks but not the restaurant for dinner).

Can anyone recommend either of the above or suggest something else please??

We're staying at the Holiday Inn in Batu Ferringhi but don't mind travelling as I want to surprise him with somewhere special.

Thanks in advance,

Nikki

12 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,788 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

October is the rainy season so it’s not good for eating outside at that time of year, plus anything on or near the beach will possibly result in you getting bitten by mosquitoes or sand flies. Uncle Zacks used to close down during the rainy season for that reason as there was no cover if it rained. In Batu Ferringhi the current popular beachside restaurant is Frandys right out past the last hotel. You could eat on the veranda there but all you might see will be torrential rain falling off the roof and if it’s really heavy you’ll get a “whiteout” where you can’t see more than a few yards!

If however you are really set on a beachside restaurant you could consider Beach Blanket Babylon down in George Town. It’s outside (but with some cover) beside 32 at the Mansion just before you get to the E&O. I eat at 32 for special events. I sometimes have an early drink at BBB first but not for long - I get badly bitten there. I prefer to have lunch at BBB when all the nasty biting things are asleep!

The Tree Monkey restaurant at the Tropical Spice Garden is a suggestion, but if it’s raining you’ll get soaked walking up the road to it. You will also need a good insecticide against the mosquitoes (they do burn coils under the table but the mozzies don’t seem to notice) but the view down over the sea at sunset time makes it worthwhile. Good Thai food but not very spicy.

Other places to consider would be Tsunami Village or Hollywood in Tanjung Bungah for views out over the sea, but the food is not particularly impressive being Chinese. Another place down in George Town would be Ocean Green but to be honest, once it gets dark there isn’t much of a view of the beach/ sea - people go there for the seafood.

If you’re looking for somewhere with a really good, interesting inside decor consider Chins Stylish Chinese on Church Street Pier, Macalister Mansion, Suffolk House etc.

The current vogue here now is for tasting menus with a team of chefs preparing food in front of you. Gen is one (junction of Presgrave street) where they can only seat 20 people at a long bar with the chefs in front of you, as is Golden Showers on Bishop Street where you enter through a bathroom, then a graffiti room, and then into a “pink” room where you sit at an oval bar with the chefs inside it.

For special events locals and the expat group will go to Ferringhi Gardens in Batu Ferringi. Beautiful outside garden setting amongst plants, orchids, a stream and with covered “longhouses” with nice decor if it’s wet. The Ferringhi Grill at the Rasa Sayang is the other popular place for birthday and special events.

Down in George Town you’ll find all sorts of interesting restaurants too numerous to mention here. The downside for you might be that there is no view.

However this being Penang places come and go, almost overnight, so I’d check back here nearer the time.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
6,189 posts
160 reviews
2. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

I 100% recommend Kebaya - it would wow most visitors and is fairly priced for the experience:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

It's not on a beach but will be memorable!

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,788 posts
209 reviews
3. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Have a look at these too, with photos.

penangfoodie.com/best-restaurant-penang/

2 posts
4. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Some very interesting ones!

I'll have a look at all of them and hope that I can reach a decision!

Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
28 reviews
5. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

What do you mean by “the food is not particularly impressive being Chinese”. What a rude unsolicited comment. What’s your food? British? Australian? Irish? Whatever food from wherever you came from, I can safely say I’m sure I feel the same being that all European kinds of food is subpar to many people’s tastebuds, but I would not make that kind of comment when giving recommendations to a third party.

Edited: 12:21 pm, August 02, 2018
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,788 posts
209 reviews
6. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Pig K I don’t know why you are so upset but the OP asked for something special. It has nothing to do with being rude, racist or whatever else you think. You should know that some Chinese food in its presentation does not come into the category of being special. I have helped you out with your questions on very many occasions and for you to attack me in this way is quite unwarranted. Please do not ask me for help again!

Edited: 12:43 pm, August 02, 2018
Singapore
Level Contributor
132 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Why are you indignant after being rude? Anyway I’ve only ever posted queries on open forum some of which you replied, I never asked you specifically for help. I am always polite and thank people in advance.

Chinese fine dining is the most common item you will find in corporate expense accounts in certain places like Hong Kong and Singapore and many are out of your budget. So your statement is entirely incorrect. You are just ignorant by using your own limited scope back in your hometown to generalize the presentation of a cuisine. Chinese fine dining is not common in your western hometowns because the people who will pay high prices do not live there - aka Chinese people.

If you want to caution the OP about the presentation of that seaside restaurant in Penang, you can just talk about Tsunami Village’s food presentation, and not “xx being Chinese”.

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
13,788 posts
209 reviews
8. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Pig you don’t know anything about me so please stop insulting me. I am not Australian, or Irish, or anything else you might imagine. I live on Penang and I know all about Chinese fine dining here and in other places in South East Asia. I have probably eaten in every single place that serves such food on Penang so I object to you calling me ignorant or referring to some mythical hometown of your imagination to bolster your opinion. And as for telling me that something is out of my budget.........what a joke!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
6,803 posts
90 reviews
9. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Hi Pig,

I have just come across this thread and honestly have found your conduct to be very aggressive and rude. I have read through all the posts a couple of times and I can’t see the basis for your bombastic approach. The OP appreciated the information given by PSS , so that is the main aspect of answering and with a polite thanks in post #4 , mission accomplished.

You may well have been polite as you mention, in previous interactions on TA, but I feel on this occasion you have not been. PSS is someone who is very highly respected on the Penang forum and whose sole intention has always been to provide accurate information for her beloved Penang. Her knowledge in my experience has been second to none and the work she has gone to in relation to submitting all the extra guidance at the top right of this page is testament to this. I can tell you Chinese restaurants are common worldwide and in Melbourne where I live, there are plenty of options for all budgets.

I am still a bit bewildered what generated your attack but for what it is worth , I feel it was extremely unwarranted.

Sean

Stratford-upon-Avon...
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Ditto the above comment! Attack completely unwarranted.

Thanks for your advice Paper Stone Scissors I will certainly check some of the restaurants you recommended out.

Edited: 2:08 am, August 04, 2018
Reply to: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted