We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

1 post
Save Topic
Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Hi,

Travelling with my partner in early October for his 40th birthday.

I'd like to book a surprise table for two at a nice beachside restaurant serving good food and with good friendly (not stuffy) service.

Not looking for anything too fancy or formal but somewhere special that has the wow factor in terms of its views.

We're not fussy eaters at all and both love local food as well as seafood if that helps.

I've seen Uncle Zacks on the Beach in Batu Ferringhi and the 360 bar in Georgetown (like the look of the rooftop bar for drinks but not the restaurant for dinner).

Can anyone recommend either of the above or suggest something else please??

We're staying at the Holiday Inn in Batu Ferringhi but don't mind travelling as I want to surprise him with somewhere special.

Thanks in advance,

Nikki

Mentioned in this post
Batu Ferringhi
Batu Ferringhi
Penang Island, Malaysia
3 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,084 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

October is the rainy season so it’s not good for eating outside at that time of year, plus anything on or near the beach will possibly result in you getting bitten by mosquitoes or sand flies. Uncle Zacks used to close down during the rainy season for that reason as there was no cover if it rained. In Batu Ferringhi the current popular beachside restaurant is Frandys right out past the last hotel. You could eat on the veranda there but all you might see will be torrential rain falling off the roof and if it’s really heavy you’ll get a “whiteout” where you can’t see more than a few yards!

If however you are really set on a beachside restaurant you could consider Beach Blanket Babylon down in George Town. It’s outside (but with some cover) beside 32 at the Mansion just before you get to the E&O. I eat at 32 for special events. I sometimes have an early drink at BBB first but not for long - I get badly bitten there. I prefer to have lunch at BBB when all the nasty biting things are asleep!

The Tree Monkey restaurant at the Tropical Spice Garden is a suggestion, but if it’s raining you’ll get soaked walking up the road to it. You will also need a good insecticide against the mosquitoes (they do burn coils under the table but the mozzies don’t seem to notice) but the view down over the sea at sunset time makes it worthwhile. Good Thai food but not very spicy.

Other places to consider would be Tsunami Village or Hollywood in Tanjung Bungah for views out over the sea, but the food is not particularly impressive being Chinese. Another place down in George Town would be Ocean Green but to be honest, once it gets dark there isn’t much of a view of the beach/ sea - people go there for the seafood.

If you’re looking for somewhere with a really good, interesting inside decor consider Chins Stylish Chinese on Church Street Pier, Macalister Mansion, Suffolk House etc.

The current vogue here now is for tasting menus with a team of chefs preparing food in front of you. Gen is one (junction of Presgrave street) where they can only seat 20 people at a long bar with the chefs in front of you, as is Golden Showers on Bishop Street where you enter through a bathroom, then a graffiti room, and then into a “pink” room where you sit at an oval bar with the chefs inside it.

For special events locals and the expat group will go to Ferringhi Gardens in Batu Ferringi. Beautiful outside garden setting amongst plants, orchids, a stream and with covered “longhouses” with nice decor if it’s wet. The Ferringhi Grill at the Rasa Sayang is the other popular place for birthday and special events.

Down in George Town you’ll find all sorts of interesting restaurants too numerous to mention here. The downside for you might be that there is no view.

However this being Penang places come and go, almost overnight, so I’d check back here nearer the time.

Mentioned in this post
Batu Ferringhi
Batu Ferringhi
Penang Island, Malaysia
George Town
George Town
Penang Island, Malaysia
Tree Monkey
Tree Monkey
658 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Tropical Spice Garden
Tropical Spice Garden
1,232 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Tsunami Village
Tsunami Village
104 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Tanjung Bungah
Tanjung Bungah
Penang Island, Malaysia
Ocean Green Seafood Restaurant
Ocean Green Seafood...
173 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Macalister Mansion
Macalister Mansion
185 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Suffolk House
Suffolk House
119 Reviews
Penang Island, Malaysia
Penang Island
Penang Island
Penang, Malaysia
Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

I 100% recommend Kebaya - it would wow most visitors and is fairly priced for the experience:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

It's not on a beach but will be memorable!

Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
12,084 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal

Have a look at these too, with photos.

penangfoodie.com/best-restaurant-penang/

Reply to: Good beach restaurant with sea views for 40th birthday meal
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted