We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Qatar Airways Flights

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
New Qatar Airways Flights

We have booked a much looked forward to holiday to Malaysia - 5 nights in KL then 7 nights in Penang. We have the great good fortune to be travelling business with Qatar Airways and will be enjoying the new direct connection to Qatar on our way home. I have been picking up great advice from both the KL and Penang forums to plan our holiday - thanks to all contributors!

In terms of the new flights and Penang Airport, does anyone know what Qatar will be doing about lounge access prior to their flights? I know that at present lounge facilities for International Flights are limited and the service offered and food refreshments seem limited. Does anyone have any knowledge of whether there is any proposal to bring this up any higher standard? The flight is late in the day, so we will be chucked out of our hotel and would likely be looking to spend a bit of time in the lounge before the flight. There is nothing on Qatar airways web site about this.

With thanks in anticipation.

13 replies to this topic
Penang Island...
Destination Expert
for Penang, Penang Island, George Town, Tanjung Bungah, Batu Ferringhi
Level Contributor
13,228 posts
209 reviews
1. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

There are not enough passengers at Penang airport for the lounges to be anything other than fairly basic. They serve a limited menu and drinks, but that’s about it. I doubt very much that there will be any change as there is simply not enough traffic and one Qatar flight a day won’t merit it. Singapore Airlines/Silk Air had a lounge some years ago but they closed it for similar reasons.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

Thank you. This info is much as we thought. Its a great new connection though and hopefully will be well used. If I learn anything useful in due course, I will post here

Barnoldswick...
Level Contributor
477 posts
210 reviews
3. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

We're flying in and out of Penang on Qatar next March. How did it go for you and which lounge did you end up in?

Cheers.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
326 reviews
4. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

We were there the other week, the lounge is absolutely dire in terms of food and drink

Barnoldswick...
Level Contributor
477 posts
210 reviews
5. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

The 3rd party lounges tend to be a bit grim in my experience. Did you fly with Qatar?

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
326 reviews
6. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

Yes Qatar

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

Sorry. I promised to post and didnt. We travelled end March, but the last posr suggests nothing has changed. Its a small 3rd party lounge - Plaza Premium I think. They have some reasonable lounges but this isnt one of them. It is small and worst of all very poorly cleaned. Dropped food and snacks everywhere and nobody has ever introduced a hoover to the seating. Absolutely manky. You have access to some dodgy open presented basic snacks but again, far from hygeinic. Mainly just nuts, bombay mix etc. You can order a 'main' but the cooks are a manky bunch that dont care and what they produce is pretty poor. Mainly tea, coffee and soft drinks are available with occasional packs of tiger beer slung in the fridge that are so sparse they are pounced upon and finished immediately. If you see them - grab 2 tins while you can! Its all a bit disappointing and well away from the Qatar departure gate. You certainly appreciate your biz environment when you get aboard! Qatar have the best biz lounge in the world in Qatar but their 3rd party offerings elswhere often leave a lot to be desired. I really thought they would push the sort of lounges like at Penang to up their game a bit - but clearly they haven't yet

Barnoldswick...
Level Contributor
477 posts
210 reviews
8. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

Looks like they're using their old A330-200 on the Penang sector how did you find the flight?

Cheers

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
326 reviews
9. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

We were on the Dreamliner

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
6 reviews
10. Re: New Qatar Airways Flights

We were on the dreamliner too. Very good indeed and Qatar onboard service in biz is second to none. I like the A350 sl better though - it feels larger inside

Reply to: New Qatar Airways Flights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted