We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

Which Argassi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
stoke-on-trent
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

Hi,im thinking about coming Argassi next July with my wife and 7 yr old daughter..We havnt been Greece for about 7 years..So with all the debt problems etc Greece is facing,is it still ok to come on holiday over here?

People i speak to say Greece has had it now as a holiday destination...

Im hoping you guys can tell me different?

Thanks

Level Contributor
365 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

We got back from argassi week ago had fantastic time and going back next year no way is Greece finished as a holiday destination . If anything was better value from other years as exchange rates better and bar owners couldnt be friendlier and more helpfull.Argassi was pretty busy and lots return year after year so speaks volumes we found the resort very reasonable .Sure pete will add to

This he goes twice a year every year book it u won't regret it x

Bolton, United...
Level Contributor
505 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

Don't know who you've been speaking to, but what a load of twaddle!! Greece has always been a superb destination for holidays, and nothing has changed. The people are as welcoming as ever, the food is gorgeous, the weather exactly as you would expect, the prices are great value so what more do you need? Ignore people who probably haven't been there for years, ignore all the rubbish published by the UK media, just go and enjoy. We love it so much we bought an apartment there, and will be going there to live next year.

East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,284 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

When they say "had it" Sean, what do they mean ?

If they mean that it's quieter than it used to be then I'd agree with that, generally speaking. Not sure that's necessarily a bad thing though.

Other than that, what "troubles" there are seem confined to the centre of the major cities. You get 10% more euros than you did a year ago, so it's better value (although still not cheap enough for Greece IMHO). The beaches are still there, the weather's still great and the locals are more pleased to see you than ever.

Mike

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
654 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

We got back from Argassi last week and to be honest I thought it was slightly busier than 2 years ago, we have been holidaying in Greece for the past 20 odd years and for me its difficult to beat it. We are planning to go back to Argassi next July. Greece is for sure going through a bad patch but don't put off going, if you are unsure you could always book independantly, thats what we did, booked hotel no deposit was required then booked flights all about 8 weeks before we went.

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
4,986 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

Its amazing the scaremongering that goes on.Greece is stiil a wonderful holiday destination and as said better value now than the last few years due to the euro exchange rates.Any troubles which were a thing of the past are like a million miles away from Zante.Athens is a flight away or a five to six hours drive.I also holiday in Sharm el sheik and the same question gets asked on there forum and the same reply Cairo is a flight away and never seen a bit of trouble in Sharm itself.Both places are fantastic and in just over a week i will be in Argassi for the second time this year.The the only problem i will face is which friendly bar will i choose to drink in.Argassi is quiter than years ago but with the exchange rate being so good maybe more peaple will think about booking a Greek holiday for next year.Book it up and let peaple know when you return what a great time you had.

Edited: 1:47 pm, September 05, 2012
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

<People i speak to say Greece has had it now as a holiday destination...>

lol.

Have they actually been here this year or they just reproduce in their mind all the speculation they read and hear? What you read there in the newspapers about Greece, all the gloom, has nothing to do with how things really are.

stoke-on-trent
Level Contributor
115 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

Thank you for your quick replys..

Minds made up,were going book to go Windmill studios next year,its having fantastic reviews,and Argassi really does look nice.

Ive spent the last hour reading the reviews on Argassi and tbh,i dont know what i was woried about..

Once again thanks for your replys..

Llanelli, United...
Level Contributor
3,691 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

Absolutely no need to fret at all.We've been once this year to Tsilivi & go to Corfu in 11 days for another glorious fortnight.When the price is right,we'll be booking for next years hols asap.Go & book & enjoy-we do! Cheers!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
143 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

just came back after a fortnight in skiathos everthing the same as last year

meals the same price drinks about the same people saying most of the problems concern the main land

would i be worried about going to greece

NO!! already booked for next year

go and enjoy and book for next year

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Worried about what i hear in the news about Greece.

The scaremongering and the tour ops pushing destinations which they think will make them more money helps no one.

This year it's better for us as prices from last year (and some from the year before) remain the same but we have the exchange rate in our favour making our euros go further. We noticed in June that it was actually busier around the resorts than it had been the previous year. Just picked up some Euros for next week and got a better rate than we did in June so no complaints from me.

As a holiday destination within europe it's hard to beat the Greek islands for warm and friendly hospitality, good food, wine and lovely weather.

Hope you enjoy it in 2013 :)

Get answers to your questions about Argassi
Recent Conversations
More Argassi Topics