We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
2,200 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Beach

Why do some people always complain about the lack of a beach in Argassi? I've just been reading a few accomodation reviews and several of them make a point of mentioning that they were disappointed because Argassi "has no beach". Don't these people do any research before they go on holiday?

I knew well in advance about the limitations of the beach there and actually found it much better than I was expecting, ok it's not the best on the island by some distance but it's perfectly adequate and very pleasant if you stay to the left of the bridge.

Maybe it's just me but I find it incredible that anyone would go on holiday without finding out something about their intended destination.

zakynthos
Level Contributor
229 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach

Hello Dr_Cheese01

Well, i believe that this happens because every single person has different expectations, always depending on their travel experience. Its a matter of taste actually. My family runs a hotel in Argassi and i have lived there since i was little. What i have found after talking to all those guests is that some find the beach small, nice, cozy and safe for children and some others don't fancy it so much as they choose to go further to Vasilikos. To tell you the truth, Zakynthos is a blessed place with fantastic beaches all around and when it comes to comparison, Argassi beach cannot beat the others. So, when it comes to people's taste, we cannot really tell. I have been leaving in Argassi since 1989 and i spend every summer swimming in this beach. My opinion is that it is a nice small beach where you can have good fun and if you fancy watersports all is there.

Tyrone
Level Contributor
8 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach

Hi Dr_Cheese01,

You're completely right, we knew before we went that Argassi's beach wasn't great. And to be honest, it isn't that bad a beach, but we travelled a good bit around the island and some of the other beaches are spectacular! My advice to anyone heading to Zakynthos is to hire a car or quad and get out and about. Around Vassilikos alone there are so many beaches. Look out for dafni beach. It's poorly signposted to the right-hand side of the road before porto zorro, and the drive there is down a fairly steep dirt track, but its gorgeous! Also check out gerakas beach and plaka beach. I can't wait to get back and lie on them!

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach

Ok i noticed on another forum a post about Argassi beach and that from waves past dimitrios it was filthy.I know for a fact that nikos at seashell cleans his bit of beach daily.Remezzo and Dimitrios dont clean the beach but keep there property clean.The beach in fact has to be rented so why should they clean it.Let the local council do it like they used to but i expect they dont have the funds to hire a jcb like they used to.The rocks had charred remains on them.This is caused by the elderly locals doing what they have done for decades and they dump there rubbish and set fire to it at the beginning of the season.during the winter months this will get cleansed by the winter storms.But similer rubbish will be there for next season.Just to the left of the bridge is a great stretch of sand and another can be found down towards the church.Argassi is nearest to gerakus,banana.plaka st nicks and dafne beaches,in my opinion the best beaches on the island.Get out and see for yourself or visit the many Argassi beach bars.Just one last thing the zante site with a similer thread also mentions a reguler holidaymaker who cleans the beach at the beginning of the season.It says to shame them.This is not the case i get a bit bored and its nice for the kids when i go back and they come out for witson holidays to have a nice area by the beach bars to play in the sand.Dont let peaple put you of going to Argassi.I am booked for may and september allready.Cant wait to get the rake out and fill the black sacks. ;0)

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Argassi, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,686 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach

Hi Pete

I saw that post & immediately thought of you, I nearly sent you a pm about it!! I don't know whats happened on that site, I look in from time to time & its not the same banter that it used to be!!

I understand Arnie's sentiments about the beach & I'm sure it wouldn't hurt the locals to do a bit of "spring-cleaning" at the beginning of the season just to improve the overall impression of the place, but as you know this has been discussed loads of times on various forums & everything still stays the same. Anyway we'll bring you a couple of blackbags next May

Cheers mate

Les

Edited: 3:22 pm, October 03, 2011
Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach

Hmmm i wonder if the mayor of argassi owned a beach bar the money would become available to clean the beach.I understand he has a restaurant on the main road.

6. Re: Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, October 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Argassi
More Argassi Topics