We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus

england
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
21 helpful votes
Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

Bus from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha.

Did this journey a couple of days ago...having struggled to find accurate info online regarding this route before I went, I thought I'd pass on what I found out :)

There's a local bus that runs through Dong Hoi, past the bus station and on to Phong Nha town.

Bus route number: B4

It leaves Dong Hoi at the following times: 05.20, 06.00, 07.10, 08.00 and then on the hour every hour until 17.00 (except no bus at 12.00)

The route it takes: Drives the length of Truong Phap,onto Nguyen Du, right into Tran hung Dao, right into To Huu, past Nam Ly bus station, past the airport and onwards to Phong Nha.

There are numerous bus stops along this route...look out for the blue signs with a bus and B4 written on it (I personally got it from a stop near to Treehugger Cafe). Be aware that it doesn't go into the bus station, it picks up passengers OUTSIDE. Just flag it down, jump on and pay on board.

Journey takes approx 90mins.

One way ticket: 33,000 VND per person.

The photo I took of the timetable shows the same route available for the return journey with buses leaving Phong Nha at the same times listed above (however I did not take the return route myself)

Hope this helps a fellow traveller out and saves you a few pennies 😊

Happy travelling ✈

Instagram: the_wanderers_notepad

28 replies to this topic
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
1. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

Just to add that if you arrive in Dong Hoi by plane then just walk out of the terminal to the main road, turn right and the B4 bus stop to Phong Nha is right there! Simples 😊

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

I also used this bus last month. It took around 15 min walk from the Dong Hoi Railway Station. The B4 bus stop is just opposite to the Ben Xe Nam Ly (Nam Ly Bus Station). The bus stop is in blue, black and white colour, who the bus is in green and yellow. Here is the route details from government website: https://dukhach.quangbinh.gov.vn/3cms/ngon-ngu.htm

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

Thankyou for this info, we re about to do this trip!

Guildford, United...
1 post
1 review
4. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

Just caught bus B4 from Dong Hoi (nr Treehuggers Cafe) to Phong Nha. Price was 40,000 VND and took 1hr 20mins. Various stops for locals taking bags of merchandise from town to town.

Dropped us off at roadside outside hotel!

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

2018 update - Ticket now 40k

NOTE: ticket is return so keep it and use it for the way back too

Bus is quite small, like a mini bus.

And agreed you need to make it clear you want the bus to stop for you!

Phong Nha-Ke Bang...
Destination Expert
for Da Nang, Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park
Level Contributor
3,700 posts
238 reviews
153 helpful votes
6. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

There’s a closer bus stop near the train station besides walking to the local bus station. Exit the train station, walk directly up the street, turn left and go to the round about. Turn left again and walk to the bottom of the hill over a short bridge to the next round about. Turn left again and about 300 m there’s a bus stop with a covered seating area on the left hand side of the street. Just in front of the local market. About 1 1/2 km from the train station. You can take a short taxi ride or moto taxi to there also.

Edited: 4 years ago
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
7. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

I'm inside the bus right now. Yes it is VND 40K, written on the ticket.

Is it really true that the ticket is for return, not just one way?

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
8. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

We are about to take the journey from Dong Hoi to Phong Nhà. Have you done the return yet? Just wondering whether it is 40k for the return.

1 post
1 review
9. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

Beautiful, thank you

Albury, Australia
1 post
10. Re: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Save

Just caught the local bus for Dong Hoi to Phong Nha.

Walked straight out of the airport, about 500metres to the main road. (Ignore all the taxi drivers who will offer to take you to Phong Nha for about 400,000d). Turn right at main road, stay on the same side of the road, and the sign for the bus is about 100metres away. Small bus, 40,000dong each. Look for big B4 sticker on the front of the bus. Lots of taxis and others buses stopping to ask us if we wanted a ride. Just shook heads, no, waiting for bus. No worries.

Reply to: Cheap travel from Dong Hoi to Phong Nha by local bus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2023 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in the United States. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.