We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

Which Dong Hoi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

Hi there,

My wife and I are looking forward to visit the caves in Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng National Park. After reading a lot of forums on TA we came up with this itinerary:

1. Ride the train from Hué to Đồng Hới in the afternoon;

2. Stay at a hotel in Đồng Hới for one night;

3. Next morning, leave our luggages at the hotel and take a taxi or moto to the entrance of Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng;

4. Take a tour operated by the park itself with English-speaking guild to these caves - Phong Nha, Tiên Sơn & Paradise;

5. Somehow get back to our hotel to retrieve our luggages and have dinner;

6. Take a taxi to the Đồng Hới station;

7. Take the SE20 overnight train (soft sleeper) at 11:30 PM to our next destination - Ninh Bình.

My question is:

1. Most boat tours mentioned in TA only do the Phong Nha cave and Tiên Sơn cave. Does anyone know if it's possible to do the Paradise cave also in one day?

2. When we're done with the tour, how do we get back to Đồng Hới? Will there be a lot of taxis and motos waiting at the entrance in the afternoon/evening?

3. Is there a reputable taxi company or two in Đồng Hới? Does Mai Linh operate there? If yes, what's they're local phone number?

4. Since our sleeper train won't arrive until almost midnight, we'll be stuck inside the station for hours after dinner. Is Đồng Hới station safe?

Thanks in advance for you reply :)

Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

Hi Chubby,

I am planning to visit the caves, were you able to visit the 3 caves in one day?

Thanks,

ebian

Nha Trang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
591 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

yes it is possible to visit phong nha cave and paradise in 1 day, as mentioned above , if going to paradise , need to go to tien son cave

very little english is spoken at Phong nha, not sure the guides speak much english

hire a car for the day, but 1st ask how much 1 way, then ask for return, it should not be double, then mention the paradise trip ...

phong nha farmstay is a awesome place, will be going there for our 4th visit next month ...

can't wait !!

Da Nang, Vietnam
Level Contributor
242 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

Sure you can do both in 1 day. IMO, no need a guide for a cave trip. Do research at home then enjoy the scenery when been there. Wonder what the guide will guide in a cave? I prefer Paradise and was there twice in Lunar New Year Holidays.

Dong Hoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
10 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

524 steps to climb to Paradise Cave. There is a new ramp too for those who can't get up the stairs.

Westminster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

I like to suggest you visit the Paradise Cave near Dong Hoi. …blogspot.com/2012/03/paradise-caves-in-viet…

Connecticut
3 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

Thank you lv2goplaces, it is gorgeous. What camera did you use to capture such great photos? We are close to finalizing the plan for Vietnam! :)

Westminster...
Level Contributor
5 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

Hello Ebian, thank you. I used a Canon 40D, manual mode, no flash, high ISO. I hope you will go to this place.

18. Re: Dong Hoi -> Phong Nha - Kẻ Bàng -> Dong Hoi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:42 pm, June 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Dong Hoi