We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Split flights and Hvar Town

Hayling Island...
Level Contributor
25 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Split flights and Hvar Town

Hi

Looking at a week in Hvar town next June and trying to work out ferry times with flights. I can see that you get the Croatian Air bus to Split port and then the catamaran to Hvar Town. But I'm struggling with the times of these ferries and how many there are a day. Flights arrive into Split about 09.30am and then back at 10.10.

So if someone could advise the best option for travelling over and I'm assuming that we would have to get the ferry the day before the flight and stay in Split or local to the airport?

Thanks

Virginia
Level Contributor
3,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Split flights and Hvar Town

The schedule is probably not out yet, but I really would not sweat it. If it is as in years past, there will be an afternoon catamaran direct to Hvar, and you can store your luggage at the port near the bus depot and have lunch/walk around Split while you wait. If you want to take a ferry instead, ferries to Stari Grad are more frequent and then you can take a bus direct to Hvar (about 30 mins).

For your return, yes I would come back the day before. I'd stay in Trogir though, only 30 mins from Split by bus and closer to the airport. Your host in Trogir can arrange a driver to the airport.

Brighton and Hove...
Destination Expert
for Trogir, Ciovo Island
Level Contributor
5,704 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Split flights and Hvar Town

I went to Hvar Town on the catamaran this year in the first week of June - we bought the tickets 2 hours before it left and it was absolutely full. As soon as you arrive in Split buy your tickets - the bus stops virtually next door to the ticket booth. The catamarans back from Hvar Town leave early morning - usually 6am (later on a Sunday) so you can make the 10.10 flight so long as you are happy about that slight pressure. You buy the ticket the day before. You certainly don't need 2 hours at Split airport, particularly if you only have hand luggage, and it is quicker getting through now as Croatia is in the EU. I would recommend that anyone sees Trogir but if you want all your time on Hvar then you can do it. By the way, this all assumes you are staying in Hvar Town. For other places you would likely use the ferry (except Jelsa where there is also an early catamaran). If you use early cats avoid Sundays and bank holidays as they tend to run later. 22nd and 25th June are bank holidays.

Durham
Level Contributor
4,467 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Split flights and Hvar Town

Although you can get the early catamaran from Hvar Town I would definitely use the opportunity to spend the last night in Trogir. It's beautiful and you'll get a couple of hours longer in bed. First catamaran from Split to Hvar Town is 11.30am, but there are a couple in the afternoon if you want to spend time in Split.

Edited: 6:05 am, November 14, 2013
Yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,722 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Split flights and Hvar Town

Given the time you are landing, you can make the 11.30 if tickets are available (we have never failed at that time of year...yet!). Else, there is as said, a couple in the afternoon, just make sure you buy tickets ASAP. The Palace and centre is just a short walk so you can spend a pleasant couple of hours minus luggage and get a decent lunch if you wish.

5. Re: Split flights and Hvar Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, November 16, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hvar Island