We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update from Santo Tomas

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Update from Santo Tomas

I am in Santo Tomas at the moment and it seems quieter than last year. I am told that because of increases in IVA ( VAT) some prices have had to be increased which does not help trade, but all the bars and restaurants are open as usual. The Lord Nelson Hotel no longer seems to be running for the Italian market ( so there are less noisy pool games going on during the day :-0) and I was told by a local that he thought that Russian tourists are going to be using it instead but at the moment it seems pretty empty.

The two main beaches used by families (Platjas de Santo Tomas and Sant Adeodat) are both looking good this summer – heavy spring storms a few years ago washed a lot of sand out to sea and resulted in both beaches being much narrower than before for a couple of years and with more exposed rock ,but I am pleased to say that this season they are much more like their old selves. I have not yet been along to Binigaus beach but am assuming that it too has more sand this summer

This season there are two new mini markets in the resort in addition to the two existing supermarkets. One is located in the lower level of the Hamilton Court Apartments ( near the bar) and the other is in the shop beside the cashpoint machine midway along the resort which used to sell sportswear etc. I have not checked all the prices in these (and being smaller they have a smaller selection of goods), but their prices seem cheaper than the two larger shops (both owned by the same company ) in the resort which have always been quite expensive because of the lack of competition so it is worth shopping around this year for milk and other essentials.

For anyone enjoying watersports there is a small company offering kayaking etc. in the resort – it is called DMS Sports & Kayak and is located at the back of the shopping parade midway along the resort – they have very nice English speaking staff who can also help you book boat trips etc.

The Es Migjorn Tuesday evening street market and free bus service from Santo Tomas is due to run in July and August as usual.

Edited: 1:41 pm, June 24, 2013
London
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Hi MenorcaRegular. We are going 30 sept to 11 oct. Good to know we can look around and upgrade if we want when we get there. We would prefer self catering though so we have the option of trying out restsurants elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

London
Level Contributor
15 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Hi MenorcaRegular. We are going 30 sept to 11 oct. Good to know we can look around and upgrade if we want when we get there. We would prefer self catering though so we have the option of trying out restsurants elsewhere. Thanks for your help.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Re "the russians are coming" - susiesLancs, I wouldn't worry too much for now - its only very early days and surely they can't be worse than some of the brits attracted to the island by the major tour companies oversell of All Incl in the past few years who do not do their research properly ( if at all), realise too late that Menorca is not the spanish "All Incl & fun-a-gogo " sort of place they expected and then spend the next 2 weeks moaning about it being too quiet LOL.

I am back in Santo Tomas in a couple of weeks and will chat to the locals about whether the Lord Nelson has indeed been taken over by a detrimental crowd.

Edited: 12:21 pm, August 19, 2013
Chelmsford, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
14. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Hi Menorca regular,

I am about to have my first foreign holiday next week and a have a question.

It has been recommended i use a prepaid currency card. I just wondered if these are accepted in most places on the island. I am staying at the mestral & lleibeg appartments with my 3 children and i have booked to upgrade to AI on arrival. Any help/advice would be most appreciated.

South Yorks
Level Contributor
46 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Hope you have nice weather in Santo Tomas next week - 'cos we are there too !

Pre-paid cards are accepted but you will probably not acquire before you leave. They can take 7/10 days.

I have used FairFX for a few years and find it very flexible. In April this year I was able to top-up my balance by text message. I have just bought some Euros at €115 to £1 net.

I can assure you that you will have a great time there.

Peter

Chelmsford, United...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
16. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Many thanks for your reply.

The card in question was just a tesco currency card. Was going to load a good portion of my spending money on to it today. Thought they were instant set up?

With it being my first trip out of the uk I have a lot of things I am unsure about so any pointers would be greatfully received. Thanks in advance.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

In Sainsburys they ARE instant set up Emma and I assume Tesco and Asda are the same. However you need ID AND recent proof of address stuff when you go to get it - so take your passport and something like a recent bank statement to prove the address the card is being registered to is yours.

Edited: 3:37 am, August 22, 2013
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,891 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

Emma also see my recent post on tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g673336-i12514-k… - the stuff about ordering euros online obviously isn't relevant if you re going to get your currency sorted out today but the info about reloading onto the card in the future may be helpful.

19. Re: Update from Santo Tomas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, August 24, 2014