We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

as a necomer to lanzarote just wondered what the supermarket prices where like compared to england? we are going self catering so be buying water milk ,and a few bits.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

Me again! We found the prices in the Spar supermarket pretty reasonable. I didn't make a note of all prices but on our first morning it cost €9.95 for the following: 5lts water, carton orange juice, carton pineapple juice, carton milk, 4 yogurts, pack of ground coffee, box of coffee filters and a pack of 7 mini chocolate doughnuts. I remember the water was €1.11 because I bought another a few days later. As I already mentioned, a large bottle of Dorada beer was €1.18. We also stayed in an apartment but I don't cook on hols - only really have drinks in the apartment.

Leeds
Level Contributor
685 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

If you stick to Spanish brands then they are reasonable. British brands are premium prices as expected. I buy Spar own brands and haven't had anything I have been disappointed with. If you want Heinz etc then you will pay through the nose.

We buy spars own beer in bottles too, not a bad drop to drink on the balcony in the sun.

glasgow
Level Contributor
717 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

I echo buying local brands. Just as good as what you're used to but much much cheaper. So cheap that we buy all our toiletries over there too! And I agree, the own brand beer is just fine!

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

Absolutely - go for the Spanish/own brands. If you choose Evian water, Activia yogurts and Cravendale milk, you'll pay a fortune! Everything in our shopping basket was pretty much the cheapest option available..

Edited: 1:57 pm, March 23, 2013
Leeds
Level Contributor
685 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

Do not underestimate how much you can save by taking a few bits with you. Ham,Cheese, Beef, Cheese spread and stuff for sandwiches, cup a soup's and light easy to pack things can save a fortune. We take all ours and just sit out on the balcony with a nice sandwich and a bit of salad for lunch. It saves us a fortune over a fortnight. I also take cereal for my breakfast. Take your own tea/coffee as our brands are really expensive too. We only eat out for our tea/dinner. We buy a bottle of plonk to quaff before going out in the evening, lovely again on the balcony. I suppose you can holiday as cheaply or as extravagantly as you like. Each to their own.

Edited: 9:15 am, March 24, 2013
Aylesbury
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
13,628 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

i know this is in Playa Blanca and not CT but prices will be similar, I tend to agree with Leedstriker that food is more expensive. I put together our basic breakfast we had from the hiperdino supermarket.

Now the marmalade is local and cost 2.25 euros, tesco own brand 54p

Bread their best offer 1.79 and the small loaves were similar price, tesco £1.20

Cravendale milk 3.25 (yes I know you can buy fresh at about 1.20 but it sometimes off before you get it out of the supermarket) Tesco £1.00

Cereal cheapest ( I tried to eat some of the stuff they say is museli lol) nearest to Museli 3.97 Tesco Alpen £2

cheapest small butter 1.40 Tesco butter me up £1

cheapest orange squash 2.17 Tescos £1.39 or 2 for £2.50

…imageshack.us/img838/3461/20130324133323.jpg

…imageshack.us/img22/3192/20130324133352.jpg

We take our own tea bags as decent tea costs too

at home £7.13 at Playa Blanca 14.83 euros

Edited: 10:15 am, March 24, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Playa Blanca
Playa Blanca
Lanzarote, Spain
Scotland
Level Contributor
304 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

We bought basics in the local spas but struggled to cater for a meal - it seemed just as cheap to eat out and saved on the washing up! Beer and wine cheaper than the UK in supermarkets

Johnstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,106 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

I guess it depends what you are buying, we find for most things the price is comparable to back home. One thing we do pay for is a brand name water, or at least check the mineral content on the label. Some own brand/local water still has a very high mineral content which may give you a dicky tummy if you are not used to it.

LEEDS WEST YORKS
Level Contributor
738 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

Just returned from Costa Teguise and noticed the last few days Spar had started putting up their prices I suppose this was for the start of the summer season,if you shop carefully and use their own brands the prices are not too bad,look for the special offers and use the big Spar on Avenda Las Americas they have a deli counter where they have lots of offers on cooked meats and cheese ,these were so much cheaper than pre-packed cheese and meat.

You can get a large beer for 1:20 euros in the square at the Orient Express all day untill 7:0 pm and Spar also had good wine on promo at 1:49 euros a bottle ideal for that pre dinner drink on the balcony.

If you like chinese there are lots of all you can eat buffets starting at 4 :50 euros ,so summing up not really over the top prices for a holiday destination.

You just have to look around plenty of bars doing happy hours,have a great holiday .

Tessy x

Mentioned in this post
Costa Teguise
Costa Teguise
Lanzarote, Spain
CO.DOWN
Level Contributor
584 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: prices in the supermarkets in costa teguise

Tessy . Can you help with directions to the Spar on Avenda Las Americas,as i do not remember this street name. We are staying at the Celeste.

Get answers to your questions about Costa Teguise