We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel Marelen

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Hotel Marelen

We fly out to Kalamaki and the Marelen early on Sunday morning. Really looking forward to the break and the weather seems to be looking great next week too !

I have a couple of questions for those who are Kalamaki regulars and who have perhaps stayed at the Marelen :

1. We are on a bit of a budget so what's Kalamaki like to eat out in ? Average cost of a meal ? Seen lots of posts saying its "reasonable" but what does that mean Euro wise ?

2. Is the Marelen as lovely as the pics and feedback suggests ? Can you pay to eat in the restaurant on site if you only staying b&b ?

3. The Marelen looks great location wise for the beach....what's the walk like to restaurants ? My partners just aggravated a previously latent back problem so hoping it's not too far a walk if it's still sore when we get there.

Everything I've read suggests Kalamaki is going to be a lovely and well needed break for us, fingers crossed 😀

scotland
Level Contributor
160 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Hotel Marelen

Kalamaki has a large number of restaurants to choose from,I would say an average price of a main course would be around 7-8 euros but some of the local dishes can be bought for around 6,of course there is other meals that can cost up to 20 euros,if you are on a tight budget I would recommend using tazzies take out ,chicken/ pork gyros cost only 2.50 and are a tasy filling meal ,we find that all the places to eat in Kalamaki are of a good standard,a few of our favourites are olive tree,Dias,ambrosia,heavens kitchen,I can't comment on the merelen as iv not stayed there,in the evenings we often walked to the old road in Kalamaki,we found Antonis pool bar had entertainer on every night and the staff were great fun,I wouldn't worry about anything to be honest,Kalamaki is a very friendly reasonably priced resort,hope you have a good time!!

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
115 reviews
2. Re: Hotel Marelen

Last year we spend around €35-40 for two eating an evening meal. This included a starter and main each, plus a few drinks. There are cheaper options though. The Olive Tree do special deals before a certain time, and we had some cheap lunchtime eats at Merlis - €5 for a full English breakfast and €2 for gyros.

Your hotel is about a 5 to 10 minute walk to the start of the main strip, where you can find many restaurants and bars. Last year you could also go anywhere by taxi in the resort for €6, so this may be an option for you.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
87 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Hotel Marelen

Olive Tree do a lunchtime special 1-3 and an 'early bird' special from 5-9pm. This is either a free starter or dessert when you order a main, which I think had to be over 6.40€. Paolo's was reasonable we found. 57€ got us starters, mains, desserts, drinks and bread for me, my wife and 2 teenagers.

We stayed at the Marelen in both 2008 and 2012. It is a great hotel set in beautiful gardens, and has its own church! It is very child friendly, with a splash pool and a jacuzzi for adults. The pool bar does great food at reasonable prices, although we found the drinks expensive. Just 2 minutes walk to the beach and around 5 or 6 to the nearest restaurant, Paolos. Then it's a few more minutes further to the thick of it. Hope the back holds up although Kalamaki is relatively flat and shouldn't be a problem. Enjoy!!

4. Re: Hotel Marelen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 10, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki
Recent Conversations