We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Which Kalamaki hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
mcr
Level Contributor
301 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

This was about our tenth visit to kalamaki although gave a rest for 3 years . Its still our favourite destination and we will be back again for sure.

I can't believe how much the resort as changed in the last 3 years mainly because of the all inclusive hotels.

For our party to go all inclusive for the same week it would of cost me another £1300 , well I must say I DID NOT spend that much eating /drinking out each day where ever I fancied , so I just cannot see the point in all inclusive , where drinks are weak and being tied to the same restaurant every meal.

This resort and the lovely people that run the bars ,shops ,restaurants are clearly struggling at this time of year , The price of food and drinks have barely changed in the last ten years , its so cheap to go self catering.

Breakfasts from 3.5 euros and evening meals from 7 euro for 3 courses advertised around the resort and the food is good. Cocktails and beers from 2 euros . But the bars and restaurants were very quiet , from all I can think is people not leaving their hotels . Is such a shame to see them having to employ prs to try and get you in as this as never been like this til all inclusive turned up.

On one occasion I seen a party of people walking up the streets with plastic glass's all alcohol they had got from there all inclusive hotel , some of them carrying two!!

I heard from a reliable source that all inclusives have to budget 3-4 euros per person per day to make a profit. I will leave it upto your own imagination how they succeed this.

Orpington, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

I totally agree with you. AI seems like a complete rip-off and really does hurt the local economy. We noticed the same last year in Kos. I know that some like to just pay one amount for their holiday and know that they are not going to have to fork out any more, but I really do think you miss out on other aspects of your holiday. Not having to go find that "little watering hole!" and speaking to the local barmen is part of the holiday to me. You find out more about the resort you are staying in by venturing out and enjoy the sights. What's the point of going away and staying in the same place with the same people eating the same food. Seems a shame to me!!!

We are booked to go to Kalamaki next summer. Went about 12 years ago so it will be interesting to see the changes. Hope there's still a bar open when we arrive - yikes!

Edited: 9:47 am, September 29, 2013
swindon,england
Level Contributor
3,112 posts
190 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

The A/I short-term strategy seems to be to not worry too much about profit but to put the local smaller buisnesses to the sword and in the long term to monopolise the resorts at which time of course they can higher their prices and recoup the early losses.

It's such a shame to see it happening all over the Greek islands,but i for one have no interest whatsoever in going A/I in Greece,we do not go to have repetitive food and watered down drinks served to us or to just be a room number.It's a tragedy that some tourists are content with this type of holiday and so play their part in the decline of the smaller local buisnesses.

There really are plenty of bargains about in the s/c areas of resorts as well as tavernas that are very competitive and you will have a far more enjoyable experience of Greece and what it has to offer.

Dundee, Scotland...
Level Contributor
33 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Totally agree with the above comments. I have been all inclusive for the past three years in Turkey, Canaries and Egypt. It helped us at the time to manage our budget better but flying out to Kalamaki for the first time next Sunday to stay B&B which was cheaper than Self Catering for us. My son hit the nail on the head when he said, great we will be eating proper food this year, looking forward to checking out the local restaurants and bars again. Can't wait as have heard very good reports so far.

Blackpool
Level Contributor
107 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Quite agree here..would NEVER go AI..takes money off the small local businesses. Maybe it`s ok if you have a couple of children..but prefer to see the town and area where I am staying.

Edited: 3:01 pm, September 29, 2013
Peterborough...
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Thing is in the end all the restaurants and Bars in the resorts will shut down then all your left with is hotels.not my sort of a holiday.I did AI in mexico but I had no choice.did not really like it. Great hotel and food but i like to be FREEEEEEEEEEEEE......lol..

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
130 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Totally agree, one of the main things we look forward to going on our hoilday is getting dressed up for a night out, good food, good wine, great people and service, that's why we love Kalamaki so much....you would never get that in an AI hotel.

Newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
107 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Its ok to go self catering etc. if you are with a group of people etc. but being a solo female traveller for me AI is the best way to go as I don't want to be hunting out somewhere to eat every night. I always try to go for a meal at least on two occasions in the week and to have a drink in a local taverna but not everyone is lucky enough to have company on their holidays each night

Gloucester, UK
Level Contributor
189 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Chris has a good point, but AI for me is appropriate in large sprawling resorts, or for remote hotels. Not around the corner from numerous wonderful restaurants!

We did AI in Cuba, but we had no choice - by the end of our first week we were referring to the buffet restaurant as "the zoo"!! I would never really consider AI as a first choice, takes the excitement out of strolling to find that hidden gem - different if you're on a cruise though I suppose ;-)

Milton Keynes...
Destination Expert
for Argassi
Level Contributor
5,076 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

Ive seen Argassi go from a thriving resort with bars and restaurants full but since A I it has sadly seen a downturn.I know its partly due to the economy as well.I did notice this year it was busier than previouse years and talk was of more flights to the island in 2014.I go A I to Sharm el sheik and the complex is built for this purpose.twelve swimming pools,jakuzi's.choice of restaurants and bars.Like a village complex and i love a winter break there.Most A I's in Greece are hotels built to cater for room only or B & B.I could not imagine forming an orderly line whilst picking the food on offer at a set time.And i know for a fact the beer is not of the finest quality.The standard of food served in Argassi restaurants is of the highest quality.Its a shame the A I holiday makers miss out on the culinary delights on offer.

Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
78 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just my opinion on s/c or all inclusive

We've only been AI once when we were in Eygpt, it was like queuing up for school dinners, not sure how long the food had been out for either!

Its much nicer to be served at the table and know that your food has been freshly cooked for you.

We can't wait to get back to Kalamaki next year and enjoy our evenings trying out all the different eating establishments, chatting with the the waiting staff and the pr men out front, its all part of the holiday entertainment.

Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki