We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phoning home to uk

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Topic
phoning home to uk

what's the situation with phoning home? cards? coins? don't really want to use the mobile

Radcliffe, United...
Destination Expert
for Skiathos
Level Contributor
1,027 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phoning home to uk

Just get a phone card from a kiosk/shop for €5 and use that.

They will last for about 20/30 mins in total and its a lot cheaper than a mobile.

Mobiles are good for emergencies and using the phone book for contacts, or if like me instead of taking an MP3 as well as the phone.

Southampton, United...
Destination Expert
for Southampton, Kalamaki, Zakynthos
Level Contributor
3,138 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phoning home to uk

you will not have a problem finding a phone to use they are all over the resort, not sure if the charges vary by provider or if they are all provided by the local telephone company. Not used one in a long time as I try not to call the uk or if its unavoidable just use my mobile for the odd call.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phoning home to uk

ok thanks for that. 5 euros for half an hour sounds reasonable to me

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phoning home to uk

There is a card called "YAH" card that is 5 euro which gives you 60 mins, you call a number enter a code and then dial your number, used this many times and always worked and best value for money.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phoning home to uk

sounds like the ones they have in spain. much better value. where do i get one from?

Zakynthos, Greece
Destination Expert
for Zakynthos, Tsilivi, Kalamaki
Level Contributor
5,608 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: phoning home to uk

Most supermarkets have them if you ask.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
919 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phoning home to uk

To be sure you are getting the right card, ask for a "tilekarta" (tee-leh-car-tah). You can use those at any public pay phone to call overseas.

MERSEYSIDE
Level Contributor
4,030 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phoning home to uk

thanks again for all the replies

9. Re: phoning home to uk

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:44 am, October 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Kalamaki