We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping in Stogrande

Norfolk
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Shopping in Stogrande

We have been offered an apartment in Soto Grande this December. We enjoy self catering and don't have much money (retired). What are the food shops like/are there any hypermarkets? Our friends are well off, eat in restaurants mostly and can't help!

We will probably have a hire car as that is cheaper than transfers even for 2/3 weeks.

7 replies to this topic
Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Here is a link to Mercadona's website, the nearest branch in Cádiz province is at La Linea which is about 30 minutes drive, however, going the other direction into Málaga province there is a branch of Mercadona at Manilva which is addressed to the N-340 this is the main coast road so it will not be difficult to find and approximately 25 minutes drive. Here is the web link www.mercadona.es/corp/ing-html/donde.html

Here also is a web link to Supersol http://www.supersol.es/localizador again they have stores in both La Linea and Manilva and also Sabanillas which is closeby.

We holiday in Chiclana de la Frontera which is just south of Cádiz city but occasionally travel down to Gibraltar for perfume and such like. I know that as we come down the autovia approaching the signage for Gibraltar there is a range of stores. We haven't stopped here but if memory serves me right there is a branch of Carrefour the French hypermarket. If you can find someone who knows Manilva/Sabanillas well you will probably find that there is an abasto municipal which is a local market. The one I use in Chiclana is purpose built, air conditioned and at the last count there were about 18 fishmongers, various fruit and veg sellers, a panaderia, various butchers, a poulterer, delis and a spice merchant. I love shopping here where often I am the only non-Spaniard. The quality at this type of market is, I find, better than anything I can get in the UK.

Saludos. Lindsay

Mentioned in this post
Olvera, Spain
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Out of curiosity I have just done a google search and there appears to be a shopping centre called Blue Sotogrande Marina Shopping, to me this looks quite upmarket and probably a lot of clothing outlets. I think if I were you I would make my base Sotogrande but explore the more Spanish areas into Cádiz where we find there is very much better value for money.

The Atlantic coast is very pretty with beautiful beaches and inland there are many gorgeous hill towns (pueblos blancos). If you take a look at www.andalucia.com and then search for Sotogrande you will get quite a lot of information on the area. Use the same website to search other towns and villages which may interest you. A SatNav if you have one will be very useful. I also usually carry a good map of Andalucía which I bought online from www.stanfords.co.uk who are based at Covent Garden, unfortunately I left it in the glovebox of my hired car when I returned it in July so will now need to replace it.

Enjoy your holiday when it comes.

Lindsay

cheshire uk
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Hi

We have an apartment in Sotogrande -so we are quite familiar with the supermarkets around this area.

For a small resort it is surprisingly well served -There are 3 supermarkets in Sotogrande- Lidl / Mercadona and Supercor (My favorite is Mercadona) all reasonably priced as well. Across the carreterra from Supercor and Mrercdona is the village of Pueblo Nuevo .(2 mins drive) There are a couple of small stores there which stock everything from bread to batteries -also there are a couple of lovely Spanish tapas bars (cheap ) and a couple of little take away places (fresh cooked chickens /curry ./pizza. There is shopping in the marina but it tends to be estate agents/boat sales /restaurants and a couple of clothes shops. Although the Sunday market is a must You dont need to go far at all -you have all you need right in Sotogrande

Norfolk
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Thanks, that is helpful.

Norfolk
Level Contributor
276 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Sorry for my slow response! Thanks for your information.

Birmingham, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Hi, we are looking to rent an apartment this summer so the info of shops is great. Is it very expensive to eat out, we are a family of five with 3teenagers. Thanks

cheshire uk
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping in Stogrande

Hi

There are loads of places to eat around Sotogrande in all price brackets. There is a great place for your family in the marina called the Hairy Lemon with pool table and sport on the tv . They serve reasonable priced food and delicious tapas -a meeting place for teenagers in the evening.The nlocal beach bar serves lovely food and is popular with teens as well . If you dont know the area I would get on the internet and see whats available as well.

If you havent booked anywhere yet our apartment may be worth a look -try Holiday Lettings ID 268229

Let me know if you need any more info.

Mentioned in this post
The Hairy Lemon
The Hairy Lemon
299 Reviews
Sotogrande, Spain
Reply to: Shopping in Stogrande
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Sotogrande
More Sotogrande Topics