We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel to Dokan

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Travel to Dokan

I'd like to travel to Dokan Lake in NE Iraq. I understand with a UK passport I can arrange a visa on arrival

Can anyone please help with the following information?

- which airport would be most convenient to fly into? Ideally one with a connection to major hub (I am travelling from SE asia)

- Are there any major security concerns in the Dokan area?

- Any recommendations for hotels in the area?

- Info on local transport car/taxi/driver and costs?

Many thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel to Dokan

Guess it's not a popular destination still.

I arrive first week of March and plan to play it by ear. Any info appreciated.

Also plan on taking my mountain bike. Anyone got any insights on cycling from Erbil to Dokan?

Sunny Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel to Dokan

Nearest airport Sulaymania.

Cheapest way fly Istanbul. Fly domestic Istanbul -Diabakir / Mardin - cheap. Bus to Silopi. Shared Taxi over border 20TL. Shared taxi border - Erbil , then shared taxi Sulaymani. Then local shared Sulaymania - Ducan.

Whole journey is more than one day. Catch shared taxi in Kurdistan from outskirts of city in 'garages'.

1 expensive hotel above lake in Dukan. Cheaper hotels in town.

OK standard budget hotels with private bath / satellite tv 15$-30% in Kurdestan. Some power cuts still.

Sunny Beach...
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel to Dokan

no security issue. but many check points on main roads.

do not go hiking near Iran border.

Noruz is a good time to visit.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel to Dokan

Thanks, thats reassuring. I fly in to Erbil via Bahrain from Bangkok. It had good connection times - only one hour each way in Bahrain!

No plan to go further than Dukan Lake. I want to see the dam, if possible.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel to Dokan

Do you by any chance have the contact for the hotel above Dokan? I have visited it before but that was over 20 years ago - I wonder if they've changed the mattresses since then!

Stockholm
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel to Dokan

You must to Erbil or sulaymaniya airport, of course Sulaymaniya is closer to Dokan.

You can have hub via Dubay, Istambul, Amman, London, Stockholm.

I own a tourist facility in Dokan and there are no risks in this area, people are very friendly and I have lived in Sweden for 30 years so therefore I can say that it is safe there

There are many places to stay, I can name a few, Ashor hotel, Hemne cottages, and Aram Tourist Village

Taxis into the cities is not that expensive and you will not pay more than $ 4 for a taxi.

I am the owner of Aram Tourist Village and you may look at home www.svtk.se and if you wish, you can stay with us and it is in Dokan.

To help with the taxi from the airport so we can assist you with transportation.

Best regards

Aram Bemenius

00964 662121436

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel to Dokan

Thanks

I cycled most of the way from Erbil to Dokan and stayed at the ashul - OK but I was the only guest!!

Dokan is a great little town to stopover. Had a quick swim in the lake COLD.......

Visited dam, met some locals. GO before it gets ruined by countless tourists in the next few years.

London, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel to Dokan

Hi Aram

Shame I only saw your post when I got back.....

You might wanty to have a word with your web people - I found no trace of your hotel when I googled around - nor is it listed on Tripadvisor.

Hope to stay next time I'm in town.

9. Re: Travel to Dokan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:18 am, June 19, 2013