We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather experiences during beginning of September.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather experiences during beginning of September.

Hello all, I will be booking to go puerto Aventuras on the 2nd of September for 2 weeks and although realising this is hurricane season I've read not to expect one unless off extreme weather alerts. Could any one tell me of there weather experiences during these days of the year as I've read it can be cloudy and to expect quick showers. I know you can't predict the weather and this is why I'm asking about experiences. Thanks.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather experiences during beginning of September.

We have been to the Riviera Maya in mid September, the past 6 years. Our stays were 7-8 days.

4 of the years were very similar. 1-2 cloudy-rainy days. Other than that a lot of sun with a few late day/ overnight storms.

2013 - We had 5 straight days of rain, much of it downpours. There was a lot of local flooding.

2015 - We had 8 straight days of sunshine with 1 - 5 minute shower.

One thing that was common for all of our trips. The popular weather sites will show storms for every day. We learned to ignore them after our first trip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
414 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather experiences during beginning of September.

I'm planning a trip during a similar time (late Sept/early Oct) and was wondering about experiences too.

Dave, what did you do during your 5 days of downpours? Did you still have a good time? Is there any way to predict if it will be a wet year - El Nino or whatever?

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather experiences during beginning of September.

SabineOregon..We were at Excellence Riviera Cancun in 2013. Even with the downpours it didn't rain all of the time. Every day we were able to get a few hours at the beach and/or the pool. Didn't use much suntan lotion, but it was still very warm. ERC has a nice theater area, where they held a lot of activities to entertain the guests. We ate a lot, drank a lot, met some great couples and had some good conversations. While certainly not as great as our other trips, yes we still had a good time.

The main reason we travel during September is to celebrate our anniversary. The prices are also quite a bit better that time of year. A 7 day stay in September costs @ the same as a 5 day stay in March.

I don't think there is any way to predict the weather that far in advance. In 2013, the week after we left the weather was great. On our first trip there was a tropical storm that went thru the area, our second day there. It was torrential rain for the whole day. The next 5 days were beautiful.

Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather experiences during beginning of September.

Thanks for the reply dave. I've gathered from more reviews that people have had similar experiences the most been that they've experienced rain but not enough to spoil the holiday and also to ignore the weather reports even so I thought I'd ask as to get a more in depth response. As long as we'll be able to get majority beach days and sun I'll be happy, I guess it's just down to mother nature really isn't it.

5. Re: Weather experiences during beginning of September.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 15, 2017