We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
15 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

It will be my first time visit in that region and choosing between those 3 areas. I'm looking for a family friendly (young kids) and nature/cultural activities. We will definitely stay on a all inclusive resort. I would appreciate your recommendations.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

My suggestion is somewhere in the Playa del Carmen/Playacar area. Expand north or south as you see fit.

Mayan ruins are best on the mainland.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
53 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

Playacar is a great place to stay. Puetro Morelos is also wonderful especially if you are interested in snorkeling.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
12,387 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

With young kids I can suggest the Palladium on the Riviera Maya. They have a wonderful kids club with a new water park. Four resorts carved out of a jungle. Meticulous complex, very family friendly. Lots of flora, fauna (animals) indigenous to the area. Kids food. Staff are very kind to the kids. There are 4 resorts on the complex. Guests at all 4 can use all amenities including unlimited ala cartes or choose to stay in their own area. This resort is one of the most environmentally conscientious in the area. They offer great kids eco tours once a week.

Check Grand Palladium Colonial, Kantenah, White Sand, Riviera on the Akumal forum.

Close to Tulum, Akumal

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,689 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

This hotel map might be useful

http://www.cancunmap.com/hotel-maps.html

Geneva, Illinois
Level Contributor
346 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

other resort ideas would be Barcelo complex in Puerto Aventuras, Dreams Riviera Cancun or Dreams Tulum, ElCid in Puerto Morelos. I would stay away from Cancun . You will not have any "cultural" experiences there.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

Agreed stay away from Cancun. Riviera Maya is where you want to be. You can always take the ferry over to Cozumel for a day trip. Agreed Palladium is a nice resort for families...lots to see on the grounds...two shows at night...close to Playa Del Carmen and close to area's sights...snorkeling at Akumal, Tulum ruins. You can also snorkel right off the beach at the Palladium.

Alta Loma...
Level Contributor
15 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

Thank you for all your recommendations.

8. Re: Cancun, Rivera Maya or Cozumel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 05, 2015