We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

Ok, so I know that there are a lot of options here but I've done so much research at this point that I feel my head is about to explode. First of all, price is all within $200 of each other. The only reason that Now is part of the list is that for the same price we would upgrade to preferred club. The others we would be in the standard rooms.

We're a couple in our late 20s who are just looking to relax and enjoy each other. We want to go for 2 weeks so we want to ensure we make the right choice!!

This is what's important to us; Great beach and great food. We really don't like making reservations and just like to go and order off a menu when we feel like eating. We're not fans of having to decide when and where we're eating for the next week.

We don't care about pools or entertainment. We would prefer Adults only.

Valentin Imperial Maya and Excellence Riviera Cancun sounded the best initially to me but then again The Royal is right in PDC. We've stayed at Dreams PV and Secrets St James and adored both of them but Secrets Capri seems like it may not have a great variety for the full 2 weeks. And I don't know anything about the Now resorts. SHEESH! I keep thinking I have it narrowed down and then I look at more things. I need assistance.

HELP!! I'd very much appreciate any info from people who have gone to these resorts! Thanks!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,663 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

I know nothing about ERC or Secrets Capri --- but out of the others, I think I'd choose VIM. I don't think I'd ever choose upgrading at a lesser resort (Now Jade) unless I absolutely knew I liked the resort anyway. A better room at a resort I don't like, doesn't mean much to me.

I think the Royal sounds fantastic and fun -- but the beach is going to be crowded, because of the location.

From what I've read, way nicer beach at VIM.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

Good call, thanks for the fast reply. VIM seems to be what I keep coming back to. I'm also debating a week 2 resorts but do you think it's worth losing a few hours in travel?

WV
Level Contributor
3,527 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

Stay all week at the VIM. IMO the beach, rooms and food options warrant a full week. If not for the sea water color and quality, I'd say Secrets Capri would be a close second-and.strangely they don't have a Mexican restaurant at Capri. If beach and sea quality is important to you then VIM is hands down a great value.

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

So now I'm thinking one week at VIM, one week at ERC....thoughts? Or I could pick one for a week and save some money and go to CRT for a week. I know I love it there. Wow, I'm terrible at making decisions.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

If beach is truly important, then I would take Jade, Capri and ERC off your list.

I am not a fan of RPDC as it is too loud and crowded for me, based on a visit there to see if we would like to stay.

I have not been to VIM but from reviews and posts, it sounds like it would be a good choice for you.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Riviera Maya, Negril
Level Contributor
16,066 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

<I'm also debating a week 2 resorts but do you think it's worth losing a few hours in travel?>

We have done split stays with less than a week total. For us, five nights at almost any AI is enough and I cannot personally imagine two whole weeks in the same place. We like to mix AI and non if we have a week, and sometimes have moved after two nights. We pack light and for us, moving is not a big deal at all.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

We would never be able to go to Mexico for 2 weeks, but if we did I would probably want to choose 2 different places to stay. I think 2 weeks would be too long for us at 1 all inclusive.

Of your choices, I would choose the VIM.

Flushing, New York...
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

I can only speak about the VIM. We are going this eweekend for our third time, if that says anything. The beach is great, has a quiet pool and "loud" one, with bar service, adult only, NO reservations, except the tepanyaki. I dont know if I would do 2 weeks there though. You shouldn't lose a day transferring from the VIM to a pl;ace in PDC

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
22,839 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

For me, it depends upon the resort. I've done two weeks at the VIM before and would happily do it again. Last October, I did two weeks at Secrets Silversands and whilst I really enjoyed the resort, two weeks was too long. I'm sure I'll be back to SSS in the future but next time, it'll be a week there and a week somewhere else.

Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
4,520 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: VIM, Now Jade, ERC, Secrets Capri, or The Royal PDC??

If I had 2 weeks, I think Id do 2 totally different kind of trips. The first week Id go to Isla and either stay in a condo or somewhere where just breakfast was included so we can eat out and explore and then the 2nd week head over to an adults only all inclusive to be pampered and relax.