We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

Hello,

I'm new to Tripadvisor and have enjoyed and appreciate reading feedback on the hotel we've selected, Azul Sensatori.

I was hoping to get some advice on tipping etiquette (US dollars? Pesos?) and getting from the Cancun airport to the hotel. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Laura

Mexico City, Mexico
Level Contributor
309 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

Hello Laura, USD and MXP are well received by hotel employees, but on my experience they seem to appreciate way more USD than MXP so bring on some 1 USD bills and that shall be good for you, on restaurants the usual tip is about 10% of the total bill and for bar waiters or any employee you would like to gratify is on your own will.

About the transfer to your hotel, there are a couple of ways to get there:

- Cab (the most expensive of the options)

- Arranged transfer (you can book it on the internet, i've found www.pricetravel.com for 80 USD round trip for 2 passengers and you may pay with visa mastercard and american express)

- Bus, there is an ADO bus station on the airport the ticket to playa del carmen is about 14 USD per trip per passenger and once there i'm guessing you would have to take a cab.

- Rent a car, not that expensive, lots of car rental agencies on the airport like Hertz, Avis, Europecar...etc, that shall be a plus if you are willing to explore Riviera Maya.

Hope that works for you

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

We use www.cancuntransfers.com for all our transportation needs from the airport to our resort. We tip $10.00 USD going to the resort and $10.00 from the resort back to the airport.

Have a wonderful safe trip!! B

Canada
Level Contributor
5,309 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

I wouldn't do this...

"- Bus, there is an ADO bus station on the airport the ticket to playa del carmen is about 14 USD per trip per passenger and once there i'm guessing you would have to take a cab."

Azul Sensatori is close to the airport, so this will turn a 15min transfer into 2 hours.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
5,218 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

Tie dye, very very good point and great advice...

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,803 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

I suspect the reason that any tip recipient would prefer US dollars over Mexican pesos has to do with the quantum of the tip, not the currency.

From what I've seen, many (most?) people use US$1 bills or 10 peso coins as a tipping denomination. US$1 is worth around 13 pesos based on the current exchange rate. Which would you prefer - 10 pesos or 13?

That said, it's my experience that tips in either US$ or Mexican pesos are gratefully accepted. Just don't tip with any coins OTHER than pesos as the recipient can't use or exchange them.

You have a few choices with respect to transferring from the airport to your resort if it's not included as a "package" deal with your flight and hotel:

- ADO bus - cheap, safe and reliable ..... but only if your resort is located quite close to the bus stop/station. (As noted by Tie-Dye, the ADO may not be a good option for the OP.)

- shared transfer. More expensive than the ADO but cheaper than a private transfer. Most people pre-arrange this (Best Day offers this service, not sure about others) but it's my understanding that you can arrange it upon arrival (I don't know how though). You will be grouped with others travelling to your resort or the vicinity thereof. The vans they use only take about 8 people, so although you may have a stop or two en route to drop off other passengers, it shouldn't be too onerous;

- pre-arranged private transfer. This is a very popular option and there are many companies that provide this service: Canada Transfers, Cancun Valet, AGI, Best Day, Lomas, CARM, USA Transfers are a few but there are many more. As the name suggests, you will have the vehicle (and driver) all to yourself, so no waiting at the airport for other passengers to fill up the van, just locate your driver/company rep and away you go;

- taxi - typically not recommended as these cost more than a private transfer when your going from the airport to your hotel due to a special tariff that they have to pay in order to be allowed to pick up passengers from the airport (which they pass on to you). However, this tax does NOT apply to cabs dropping passengers off at the airport, so taxis can be a viable option when it's time to get back to the airport to come home;

- limo, luxury SUV - if you want to "live large", this is the way to go but, obviously, it's not the most budget-friendly option. Dream Days provides this service; and

- car rental. Really only worthwhile financially if you'll be using the car throughout your vacation. Make sure you do you research before renting a car as there are quite a few potential pitfulls to be aware of, including acams perpetrated by the rental companies, local constabulary and gas stations which are aimed specficially at car renters. I say this not to put you off renting (plenty of people do it without any adverse incididents) but you do need to go into this with your eyes open.

Edited: 1:09 pm, November 03, 2013
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
43,383 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

For tipping, no US coins or torn bills. Tips are appreciated with the amount being the most important (e.g 20 pesos is more welcome than $1 US. $5 US more than 50 pesos)

Here is an FAQ i put together on transfers / top companies. Adjust prices depending on your desitination

tripadvisor.ca/…53851598

for advice on arriving at the airport

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g3198845-i27741-k67…

Edited: 1:12 pm, November 03, 2013
Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

Thanks SO much to everyone! Thought I could reply individually, but seem to not be able too. You all are helping me figure out the best way to enjoy our trip, and I truly appreciate it.

Laura

Edited: 1:40 pm, November 03, 2013
8. Re: Tipping and Getting From The Cancun Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, November 05, 2014