We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

expedia

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Holland, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
expedia

Once again disappointed in expedia's customer service.Booked package deal thru Expedia. Delta flight itinerary was changed several weeks ago by Delta. Had option to accept new itinerary or cancel. I spent several weeks trying to find comparable flight (direct) that was reasonable priced. Finally found one so called Expedia to cancel and they tell me they can only cancel during Delta business hours(8am-5pm). Bet they would take a reservation though!!! Don't want to book the new flight until I know I have my refund. My luck the direct flight will be gone or increase in price before I can get this situated with Expedia. So disappointed in Expedia.

Rosewood Mayakoba
Rosewood Mayakoba
#1 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
Newport House Playa del Carmen
#2 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
Banyan Tree Mayakoba
Banyan Tree Mayakoba
#3 of 218 hotels in Playa del Carmen
southport
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: expedia

Booked 2 tours via Exppedia to do in Bangkok August 2012 Followed instructions to call tour operator Expedia provide me with but no answer from phone number emailed Expedia and tour company at least 10 times again no reply. Hence never got to do tours. Since being home have phoned Expedia at least 6 times speaking to different people who all say will do something about a refund but never get the promised phone call or email (as always on inbound call centre who can't call back) Phoned again last night as apparently all complaints are handled at night still no promised email. Team leader will never speak to you so recommend anyone thinking of doing tours with Expedia BOOK IT WHEN AT YOUR DESTINATION.

Hong Kong
Level Contributor
5 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: expedia

Just to let everyone know. Expedia.com and Hotel.com both are owned by the same group Expedia Inc.

I made a hotel booking for 5 nights with the expedia travel website and used my credit card to pay for it. When the transaction completed I thought they would send me a itinerary. I waited and waited and waited but no itinerary. Unforturnately, when I completed my payment, I did not bother to copy down the comfirmation no. of my booking and I believed that expedia will send me a copy of it. So, when i don't see anything on my mail box, I called them. They said I have no booking under my name or my email address. I asked if they can use my cell phone to retrieve my booking but they said no they can not. So I called the bank and they confirmed that Expedia did put thru the payment (meaning they have got payment from me already). I called the hotline again and told them that they have charged me already but no itineray and no email comfirming my booking. Again an again and again, they said I have no booking with them. How can I not have booking with them, they certainly took money out of my credit card which was confirmed by my bank. End up,I found out that because I typed my email address wrong so when i called to give them my email address for retrieval of my booking, it did not show up on the computer. Since they don't use your cell phone no. for retriveing then expedia can not see it on their record. I go back and forth with the hotline for 2 whole hours and finally found the booking. It is just a simple thing but Expedia took two hours and if it wasn't that my credit card company called them to confirm the payment,Expedia would still insist that I have no booking with them but they charged my credit card already.

With this kind of bad service, this will be the first and last time I use their service.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
14,031 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: expedia

That's unfortunate, we have booked with Expedia several times, and have always had very good experiences, no problems at all.

Caddington
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: expedia

I had a very unpleasant experience of booking a city break with expedia recently. Did a search for 3 night break and have documentary evidence to prove this, however the confirmation was for 1 night only. Tried immediately to cancel the booking but their website was malfunctioning and there were problems getting through to anyone on the phone for 30 minutes.

They said they would refund the flight cancellation but went back on their word even though i have emails to say they would do so. I find their approach unethical and customer service is non existent. Needless to say I will never use their website again and would like to alert others to their practice.

Apparently if a return date is not entered, their system defaults to the next day unlike other online booking systems where the booking is simply not made if a return date is not entered!!

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
24,999 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: expedia

"Apparently if a return date is not entered, their system defaults to the next day unlike other online booking systems where the booking is simply not made if a return date is not entered!!"

IME most systems default to the next day if you don't enter a date.

I agree that Expedia's customer service leaves a lot to be desired if things go wrong (as in the OP's case) or you make a mistake (as in Anita's case) but they do offer great pricing. The trick is to check, double check and triple check all the details, especially dates, BEFORE you click on that confirm button.

Caddington
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: expedia

Agreed, BUT, the cancel booking screen should be accessible or their customer service phone line, shouldnt it?? moreover, their system should not be set up to default to next day as in many other online travel bookings.

I have moved over to Secret Escapes who offer a far far far better deal and excellent customer service to boot! Expedia days are numbered!

Brandon, Canada
Level Contributor
572 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: expedia

"Expedia's customer service leaves a lot to be desired" is a huge understatement.

Got burned once, won't happen a second time.

You do have to double check and triple check. then check again all the details.

For a measly couple hundred bucks I'll go with good customer service every time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
182 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: expedia

Why not price match thru Funjet (if they offer the hotel/resort). Have had very good luck going through them.

Charlottesville...
Level Contributor
1,183 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: expedia

Agree. We found a great deal on Expedia and went through our travel agent/ Funjet who met the price even though they didn't have the same special at the time. We've used Expedia for a hotel night here or there but we didn't think it was worth the chance on flights/ hotel/ etc.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,763 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: expedia

We have just returned from 11 nights in the Roo , booked mostly on Expedia . We booked last minute , one week out , and a few next night rentals . We were upgraded without asking to penthouse suites at the El Cid La Ceiba on Cozumel and at Villa Rolandi on Isla Mujeres , each for two nights , both for around $125.00 a night , all in . Villa Rolandi also included two beautiful full breakfasts and a free private water shuttle to Cancun . We booked two nights at Lo Nuestro Petit in the Tulum Pueblo for a little less, averaged in two seperate room classes for a night in each room . We had one stinker room in Cancun that wasn't as nice as the pictures but still a view room . Part of the problem was Cancun itself with buildings blocking sun, stinky buses and the sort of thing that we sort of expected but had to see for ourselves to be sure . These are full high season values . We checked in early at most of these places with no problems . I've used Expedia at other , first time destinations with no problems . I understand they don't do too well with changes to itineraries . The travel booking service worked perfectly for us with multiple , unsolicited , bonus upgrades or just good luck .

Mentioned in this post
El Cid La Ceiba Beach Hotel
El Cid La Ceiba Beach...
2,027 Reviews
Cozumel, Mexico
Cozumel
Cozumel
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Isla Mujeres
Isla Mujeres
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cancun