We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary help needed please!

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary help needed please!

Hi all,

We are booking our 'trip of a lifetime' to Canada and would appreciate some help and suggestions with our itinerary, mainly the best places to stay and for how long! Our current itinerary is below, what we have is planned dates of 5th-19th September flying in to Calgary and out of Vancouver.

Banff (3 nights)

Lake Louise (0/1 night)

Jasper (2/3 nights)

Kamloops (1 night)

Revelstoke (2 nights)

Kelowna (2 nights)

Harrison Hot Springs (1 night)

Vancouver (2 nights)

So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
28,949 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary help needed please!

Hmm. Your plan jumps around a bit with some odd backtracking (Kamloops to Revelstoke makes no sense at all), but its a good place to start, so lets just see if we can tidy this up a bit. You might find this article useful. Its written west to east, but includes links to maps that would be helpful regardless of the direction of travel.

1. Some people may argue that staying in both Banff and LL is redundant. They are only 45 minutes apart and its just more hassle than its worth to check out and check in to move 45 minutes up the road. However, there is something to be said to be in Lake Louise after the busses and the crowds leave, or up in the morning before the crowds arrive, so I can see the merit of staying in LL one night for this. I also understand it is a very good base for hiking, so the strong hikers seem to prefer to base themselves in LL over Banff.

2. As you are only traveling one way between the Rockies and the coast, you will have to chose your route. Currently you appear to be going one way (Yellowhead highway through Clearwater to Kamloops) then driving all the way back to Revelstoke and then down to Kelowna. That's a bit of looping around.

On recent family trips and with TA in mind, I've been paying attention and I have to say that personally, I have a strong preference for returning south from Jasper and heading towards Revelstoke on highway 1. You could have your LL night here, to break up the drive from Jasper to Revy. The Icefields Parkway is worth doing twice and personally, I think the scenery between LL and Revy is much better than down highway 5. Just my opinion, so take it for what its worth.

3. 2 nights Revelstoke, 2 nights Kelowna and 1 night HHS looks nice. I like HHS for a short stay, although others do not. Add at least one day to Vancouver.

Here's a suggested route between Revelstoke and Kelowna:

(Ok, for some unknown reason, Google is refusing to use the Needles - Fauquier ferry, but I assure you it exists and there is nothing wrong with highway 6)

Ferry info: www.th.gov.bc.ca/marine/ferry_schedules.htm

And here's a suggested alternate route from HHS into Vancouver:

This route is more scenic and avoids the troublesome troll bridge ... I mean TOLL bridge. ;)

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary help needed please!

Thank you so much for the brilliant and very helpful response. In response:

1. It is either going to be 3 night in Jasper and miss the night in LL or 2 and 1 so I think we will decide on the 3 in Jasper and just stops in LL. As we are leaving from Banff we can aim to get there nice and early and spend the day there.

2. I think we will double back from Jasper and miss out Kamloops, our thinking here was that taking the Yellowhead highway through Clearwater to Kamloops would offer us different scenery for part of the drive but as you say it is a long lap round. So this would save us the 1 night to add to Vancouver and approx. 200km of driving.

3. That is the route we have been looking at taking between Revelstoke and Kelowna and have read about that the non-existent road flaw on highway 6 in Google maps, so another route sorted! The alternate route in to Vancouver looks good and one I think we will build in.

4. Also we are planning on taking the route south from Kelowna and highway 3 through Manning Park en route to HHS, this is purely on research done online so would you be able to comment or would you suggest the more direct highway 97C and then 5?

Again, thank you so much!

3. Re: Itinerary help needed please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 27, 2015