We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

Mudgeeraba...
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Topic
RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

Greetings,

We are a party of 4 Australians who hope to hire 2 RVs and travel from Vancouver and back over 9 days from 20/9/14 to 30/9/14.

After reading other helpful Forums, I gather it's an overnight drive from Vancouver to Banff. So we are planning maybe 3 days Banff, 3 days Jasper, an overnight stay up and back, with a day left over.

Any suggestions of where to stay on the way up and the way back to Vancouver.

Is it essential to book powered RV sites before leaving Australia? And any suggestions of the best parks to stay.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Gail

An

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,558 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

Welcome to the forum, gail ~

You could drive from Vancouver to Clearwater, then on to Jasper. Down the Icefields Parkway over a whole day to Banff/Lake Louise. On the way back get as far as the Salmon Arm area for the night.

Are you not going to stay any time in Vancouver. It would be a good idea probably to be in the city the night before your flight out, if that is what you will be doing.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,066 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

G'day Gail, and welcome from myself also.

Being from the Gold Coast I hope that you appreciate that overnight temperatures in the Rockies toward the end of September are quite likely to drop below freezing point. Here are the average weather statistics for Banff:

www.weatherbase.com/weather/weather.php3…

You may need to ensure the RV's have adequate propane heaters on board.

Edited: 3:53 am, January 08, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
27,967 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

In an RV, it is a good idea to take two days between the coast and the Rockies. In a car, you can do it in one long day, but that's ambitious in an RV which is slower and more cumbersome on those winding mountain passes.

Mufti's plan is sound and I would stick with that, or something close to it, as your time is quite limited. You could easily break the trip up with two nights in either Clearwater or Salmon Arm, either place is good for spending a day. It will also depend on your pick up and drop off of the RV, which can take an hour or more. If you are collecting your RV later in the day, you might find that somewhere like Hope is all you can manage for your first night. Don't plan too much for that extra day until you get further with your planning. You might find you need it.

There's a couple of good articles on TA to help you with your planning:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c120076/Briti…

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154922-c201141/Briti…

And a couple of links (which I shall have to add to that camping article at some point)

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/

http://www.campingrvbc.com

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/index.aspx

(note that the national parks have user fees you should be aware of as part of your planning and budget.)

Edited: 3:12 pm, January 08, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
61,558 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

Check with your RV company. It is my understanding some will not allow you to pick up on the same day as a long overseas flight.

5. Re: RV Trip 9 days to the Rockies, from Vancouver

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, January 10, 2015